Buying beef heart in bulk

Hey guys, just was wondering if there are any places to buy beef heart in bulk, instead of spending so much money on the little cubes. I realized I need to be feeding my discus so many more times a day and beef heart is high in protein for them. But I just have one issue, I don't know where I could buy it from in larger quantities where it would save me money in the long run. Any help would be great, thanks :)

I find the chicken heart in the frozen seafood section...

When using chicken heart

1-trim off the fatty pieces

2-cut the heart down the middle splitting it into 2 pieces

3-run cold water over the cut up pieces for a few minutes..(this removes the blood clots)

4-ready to feed.

Really? I would have never known that. If I bought it from there where abouts would I find it? and would it be safe to just throw straight in my tank?

Is the chicken heart high in protein and good to feed my discus? Do you do the same procedure with the beef heart?

I've never kept discus but I do feed most of my c/a cichlids chicken heart (as a treat twice weekly).. All my large predators are fed chicken heart on a daily basis..

I have found that beef heart is much easier to prepare but it leaves an oily film on the surface of the aquarium / pond water.. Thats the main reason why I switched to chicken hearts..

Really? I would have never known that. If I bought it from there where abouts would I find it? and would it be safe to just throw straight in my tank?

I used beef heart in the past. I would grind it all up in a food processor and add some veggies as well - zucchini, shelled peas, spinach...

Spread it out thin on some wax paper or cling wrap on a cookie tray, then break it up and store it in ziplocks. One heart would last me 6 months-ish... I would break off a chunk and melt it straight into the tank.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same with chicken hearts, but there might be an issue with freezing-thawing-refreezing.

Hope that helps.

That's true, I guess frozen chicken heart would probably be cheaper. I actually found a recipe for beef heart on rocky mountain discus, but there were so many ingredients and steps I would have to do. I think I might try something a little more simple than that.

I used beef heart in the past. I would grind it all up in a food processor and add some veggies as well - zucchini, shelled peas, spinach...

Spread it out thin on some wax paper or cling wrap on a cookie tray, then break it up and store it in ziplocks. One heart would last me 6 months-ish... I would break off a chunk and melt it straight into the tank.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same with chicken hearts, but there might be an issue with freezing-thawing-refreezing.

Hope that helps.

That's a great idea, using the processor and veggies. I've got a couple predators that would probably enjoy that, will the smaller omnivores (gouramis, mollies) eat it as well if it's processed into small enough bits?

Probably many fish will love the stuff. I found a few recipes for beef heart, still contemplating on which one I will use though :wacko: Do you know how hard it has been to find frozen beef heart at the LFS lately? :mad: I checked with 4 stores over the weekend, either they don't carry it (petland) or they were all out of stock. How frustrating it is, especially when you really need some. Apparently too, beef heart is a great food for getting jack dempseys to spawn. I was reading that on a web page I came across. :eh: I wonder if it works well for all CA cichlids!!

Too bad you live in the city, any small town abbatoir will have all the beef heart you can carry. Check in the yellow pages for butchers, smaller shops would probably have or get what you want. Give the ones close to you a call.

If any of you know any hunters bird season opens in early September, then big game a little later. Should be lots of free hearts around.

HTH

That's a great idea, using the processor and veggies. I've got a couple predators that would probably enjoy that, will the smaller omnivores (gouramis, mollies) eat it as well if it's processed into small enough bits?

Ya, if you let the processor go too long, you get mush. It makes a mess in your tank, but it is small enough that even my neons and dainos were eating it. For the sake of keeping your tank a bit cleaner, I would try not to make it too fine.

That's true, I guess frozen chicken heart would probably be cheaper. I actually found a recipe for beef heart on rocky mountain discus, but there were so many ingredients and steps I would have to do. I think I might try something a little more simple than that.

I think it can be as complicated or simple as you want... try not to be intimidated by it all. If you are looking at a recipe, you have to gauge if the accuracy is really that critical or is the writer just trying to communicate some guidelines for you to follow.

The hardest part (In my opinion) was getting rid of a lot of the tougher tissues in the heart. (Valves, vein, muscle linings) I would go nuts with a good sharp knife and cut out the good meaty parts. the rest got turfed. When I was doing this a good size heart would last me 6 months or so, and I wasn't really all that picky of efficient with all of it.

After you have the meat prepared, add what you want, blend and freeze. I really can't remember measuring anything when I would mix in flakes or veggies or anything else like that.

The more I would prepare my own beef heart, the more complicated it grew, because I was comfortable with the process and starting to get a bit more creative. If you want to try it, just start out with some beef heart and grind it up. Next time, try adding some of this or that...

We do this hobby for fun right?