Betta Fin question

EowynJane

I have a betta who's fin's are curling, the top one on his bck and the one on the bottom of his body (sorry, I never learned the proper names for them). He had a bit of a curl when I bought him and I just figured it would go away but it never did.

They're not broken off or shredding, there's no holes in them. He's in his own 2.5, heated, cycled, planted with a large crypt. NitrAtes are usually at 0 since the plant is so huge. He eats, flairs and blows nice bubble nests... :(

Anyone know? He's a real beauty but he'd look even nicer if his fins didn't curl. Someone on another board mentioned it could be because of our water. They said hard water with a high Ph sometimes does that. Has anyone ever seen it before?

To answer your question, regarding curly fins.

Well, its just because his fins are long :thumbs: if there is no damage, no fungus and he is happy and healthy eating... there is nothing to be concerned about.

My male betta's have the same thing, it has nothing to do with water quality at all, its just a very nice long full fin :thumbs:

PS: my PH is at 7.0 I use 90 percent R/O water...

Edited by BlackMumba

Ok, thanks!

Could it be some kind of fin genetic problem? His fins are literally nice long and straight, up until a bit before the end. Then it looks like someone took a hair straightner to it and added a big kink. The ends don't look very nice either.

He has been like this since I bought him, I thought they would straighten out once if I kept his water super clean but it never happened. I bought him at a good store, so none of those little cup keepers, he had his own little divided off tank. But he wasn't expensive... maybe this is why?

I thought I would show you a picture of my award winning betta's fins... His parents were Halfmoon Gene copper male, and a Half moon/PK purple and white female, both did not have curly fins... so genetics wouldn't have a play into this, I think its just when their fins get so long they start to curl up a bit at the ends. I think its beautiful. This guy didn't turn out Halfmoon, but a Super Delta instead, although most of his sisters did in fact turn out Halfmoon, each one of his siblings were sooooooooo different from each other...

My Male Betta's fins take a look

His are very curly at the ends, it certainly didn't affect his performance at the show!!

Please post a picture, would love to see him :thumbs:

Beautiful fish! Thanks for posting the pictures, yes, Opi's fins are like that but the kink is higher up. I guess I won't worry about him!

He's an almost cellophane veil tail, he has 1 black spot on each side of his body and his fins are tinged metallic red. There used to be a touch of green in them which made my neighbour exclaim "Oh! He looks like an opal!", so I named him Opi.

Heh... I'll post pictures when I find the camera, we moved a little while ago and can only find half of our stuff.

Edited by EowynJane