Hello from a fish addict... lol

Mollyfish700

Sorry for how you feel. I lost all my tropical fish last year when our city when through a massive 39 degree heatwave for a weak. So now I got an airconditioner.

As for your power problems you can back up your filter and lighting for maybe 10 minutes with a UPS power back up from APC you can buy them at Future shop or BCOM computers.

I am looking at one myself as power spikes and brownouts are a fact of life and I hate resetting my timers for my aquarium. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Molly.

I used to have a lot of tanks and after the big power outage :boom: a couple years ago was so discouraged :cry: that only had our goldfish (the only ones who lived through the snowstorm and 52 hour power failure) until recently. We just shut down our tanks and I went into a deep fish depression :cry: , I had so many beautiful fish and they had all died but a handful of goldfish.

A friend suggested this site as a sort of pick me up and I visted a few times, was impressed by the wealth of knowledge and now here I am!

I have restarted some tanks and well I guess it is going great. Really missed my fish and will once again try to get some of the fish I lost again.

Thanks for listening and a big hello to all you other fish addicts.......................lol

This does bring up a good point. Fish tanks require power, and extended power outages are something everyone should think about. There is no real 'practical' solution from my understanding unless you have a small generator you can rig up and allow the filters / heaters to run for a few hours.

We are generally not prepared for a major outage during the cold winters, something I have been thinking about for a while. There are some home generator options that run on natural gas up to 25Kw. That would allow you to run most things (furnace, FILTERS, and others like fridge, stove etc).

But those options are in the 5 to 8K range. Big price for something you MAY never use.

• 4 weeks later...