New to chiclids

jus_sum_guy

Hiya everyone,

Ok, i'm thinking of venturing into chiclids, community fish starting to bore me lol. So i had a few questions that I was hoping could be answered..

1) Any sites i can visit to learn about right set-ups, food, etc??

2) i currently have a 35g hex tank, this good enough?

3) any fish recommendations??

Thanks in advance

www.cichlid-forum.com

Go there and read everything you can get your hands on for about a week.....then come back with questions. You'll have a lot more specific questions after doing some research.

PM me if there's anything else you need answered.

1) Any sites i can visit to learn about right set-ups, food, etc??

Cichlid forum is good for their profiles, but theyre chat is pretty bad since most of them are african keepers, i hate to plug forums like this but cichlid madness is really good for discusion of CA/SA cichlids.

2) i currently have a 35g hex tank, this good enough?

It is but your limited.

3) any fish recommendations

Ok im going to say these fish since im not postive on the demensions of the tank. Keyholes, rams (blue and bolivian), festivum, convicts, hondurn red points (another species of con that are gorgous), sajicas, rainbow cichlids, firemouths, smaller acaras, dwarf pikes, and there is a few hundered dwarf cichlids you can choose from.

Shawn is right about Cichlid-Forum being more on the African side, especially the chat room. There are sections for Central and SouthAmerican cichlids in the discussion forums, though....

you want some fish that are more ornamental. I would go with 2 blue rams. 1 really nice angel and 2 festivums.

festivum are really hard to find but I do believe they have some at riverfront. they are expensive but well worth it. I would get a calico angel (I think they have a really nice one at chums)

this is the best setup, trust me as none of these fish really need footprint to speed really quickly and they are very ornamental and wont stick to the bottom of the tank.

please dont stick in convicts and such, that would be a waste of what could be a beautifull planted ornamental tank.

Edited by cichlidkid

Well thx for all the advice, i think i'm gonna go with what cichlidkid said :thumbs:

But i have one last question. In the hex tank, my bristlenose is not doing it's job and eating the algae off the glass. It's starting to build-up more and more. I don't really feel like scrubbing every so often, so i was thinking about a small snail of some sorts. Riverfront said a mystery snail would be the best for me, but i've no experiance with snails.

1) good choice??

2) compatible with cichlids mentioned above? I also currently have 2 upside down cats and of course the bristlenose

Note: I have fake plants right now, real ones to go in, in about a month or so. Tons of hiding spots and caves