Rona Ballasts

FishManTy

Ok... someone was talking about a $15.99 ballast that Rona has...

I bought one today. Fricking awesome. Doesn't have to be hardwired... plugs right into my timer. Put 2 bulbs from my ceiling in it, and its just as bright as a single T5... and cheap cheap cheap

Just wondering... I can't find the thread that someone mentioned it in... but what type of bulbs do you use in it? Rona has these $7 bulbs that are for 'aquariums and plants", and I wanna know if anyone knows if they are good, or what? Also, would you advise me to or not to put a huge like. 18000k (Or water ever a power glow is), in it?

And with that said... anyone got some cheap 48" bulbs for sale?

I use the 48" General Electric "plant and aquarium" bulbs that are for sale at Can Tire for about 7 bucks, so they are probably the same ones. They work great for my setup over a 90 gal. Think I might pick up another dual 48" though just so I can get a higher watt per gallon ratio... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Condensation won't be a problem, as it will be ontop of my glass tops...

If you are worried, they make little tubes to slide over bulbs, to protect them from condensation and what not. Cost like... $3?

I'm getting the bulbs on saturday, as I must shop at Rona (Brother works there). I'll keep ya updated

The tube u talk about is typical of a plant grow type tube it will do fine. I would suggest running one oeach. A plant grow and a full spectrum. Try to get as close as possible with 6500 or 6700 K (Kelvin) bulbs.

Garhan

Edited by Garhan

• 1 month later...

these ballast...that can plug right into your timer...are you talking about the complete fixture?? For $16.00 that is cheap...do they come in three feet lengths?

ideally i would like to get a total of four tubes under my 50G but haven't been able to find any deals out there.