Lake Tanganyika

rED O

I think I would like to try a tank with fish from cichlids form Tanganyika. I have never had them before so I dont no much about right mixes of them or how many. The tank is a 75 gallon tank. For sure I would like black calvus or two for sure.Any Ideas for stocking?

Edited by rED O

Im just about to start my 90 gallon tanganyika too, going to have 4 black calvus, 4 goldhead compressiceps, 5 synodontis petricola, 5 julidochromis transcriptus, and two plecos. I have the petricolas already and just love them, I would recommend a group of those for sure. As far as other tanganyikas I have looked at the Paracyprichromis nigripinnis or tri color cyprichromis are cool fish. Daffodil brichardi's and Neolamprologus tretocephalus are also nice fish from tanganyika I would consider but they are abit on the agressive side.

Hope that gives you some ideas

DK

Edited by dk77

just m2c, having different mixes of tangs in my 72 I have found that similar fish don't get along. For example i had white calvus and goldhead comps and they really hated each other just fought for space. Also two kinds of lamps are not a good idea either so tret's or sexifasciatus and dafodils, just asking for trouble. I have found that getting different shapes and fish that chill at different depths is the best idea. For Example if I had to do it over I would do four calvus (only one male thought) 1 sexifasciatus about 10 cyprachromis 4-6 julies 6 synodontis multipunctatus, and a couple plecos. I prefer the multi's to petricoli because they grow a little slower and are harder to find.

redO, you've gotten some good advice. I'll agree that you should keep the similar looking fish seperate. i.e. don't keep both calvus and comp's in the same tank. I have a pair of black calvus and a single W.C. goldhead Comp in my mixed tank and the comp always picks on the female calvus. I will sell you the goldhead comp if your interested, p.m. me.

I love juli's and if I did a Tang. only tank I would have a large group (at least 12) of them. And I would also have a group (at least 5) of syno's. I have 3 syno lucipinnis and love them and they stay smaller than the petricola's (I also have 2 of them). Then I would add about 5 white calvus (1 male) OR goldhead comps. and call it stocked.

I'm not a real big fan of the rest of the tang. fish like brichardi's and similar fish.

redO, you've gotten some good advice. I'll agree that you should keep the similar looking fish seperate. i.e. don't keep both calvus and comp's in the same tank. I have a pair of black calvus and a single W.C. goldhead Comp in my mixed tank and the comp always picks on the female calvus. I will sell you the goldhead comp if your interested, p.m. me.

I love juli's and if I did a Tang. only tank I would have a large group (at least 12) of them. And I would also have a group (at least 5) of syno's. I have 3 syno lucipinnis and love them and they stay smaller than the petricola's (I also have 2 of them). Then I would add about 5 white calvus (1 male) OR goldhead comps. and call it stocked.

I'm not a real big fan of the rest of the tang. fish like brichardi's and similar fish.

thanks. pm sent

Have you ever thought of getting some lamprologus species? There are many types of shell dwellers that take the bottom part of the tank and grow larger. I agree with the advice you have been given. Do not mix similar looking types of species. My neolamprologus tretacephalus male would always chase my frontosas around, probably because they looked very similar when smaller. These guys seem to be quite aggressive, although I have mine in a tank with my calvus and neo brichardi's, and so far I have not seen any aggression with this mix.