Red lobsters

johnsmith

At Petland they have some really cool red lobsters. These aren't the brown crayfish that look like they just came from a lake, these things are red and ~ 6" long.

Does anyone know what type of care / environment these guys require? Do they get huge?

I was thinking of getting some angelfish, but these guys could change my mind.

As far as I know, they shouldnt get much bigger than 5-6" from nose to tail, and are quite similar in care to crayfish... will eat just about anything (excellent scavenger/bottom feeder), quite tolerant of water temperature (from near freezing up to about 85F), and extremely hardy

They will TRY and catch any fish they can grab, but they are surprisingly clumsy with those claws...

I believe they can even stand being overwintered in a pond, as long as they dont freeze solid and there is adequate oxygenation

I had a large electric blue crayfish in with my piranha... he would catch the feeders and eat em up... but every now and then he'd grab the 4" piranha by the head, and try to eat him... wasn't pretty.

I'd probably keep a lobster

by himself...

Edited by FishManTy

I don't remember where I was... maybe the petland on 130ave, and they had ghost crayfish

Quite kewl

Gold's has some ghosts in right now, too....I would never spend that kind of cash on a crayfish unless it did my laundry and fixed me breakfast.