stimulating bubbles?

Moonlightsedge

Do you have a second male? Competition is a great motivator. If you keep the female in his sites but unaccessible as well as placing another male right next door for a day or two , your little fella will boost his efforts is trying to impress his girl. Using a half a cup , Styrofoam cup , cut lengthwise, glued to the water's edge gives the bubble nest a secure anchoring.

There are thousands of websites to look at like this one

http://www.atisonbetta.com/breeding1.asp

. Have fun with this . :D Sue

Great link to provide Qattarra... :thumbs:

Atison is one of the best Thailand breeders of betta's ...

But I would add a little bit of salt to the water... like in that link Atison's mentions that you can tell if the male is healthy by his bubble nest.

In all my breeding betta's the males that blew bubble nests were the ones who would get to mate...

I would do as Qattarra says use two males... let them compete for the girl... the male that does blow a nest that would be the one I would choose to breed.

The salt added to the male who's didn't blow a nest, might be an aid if he might be under the weather... (in my experiences this is true 99% of the time) the salt helps with alot of mild dieases of fish...

For example:

I had three pairs to breed...

The Red longfin already had a bubble nest built - I put a female to condition... he was ready!

The White PK Male - small bubble nest not very big - put the female in to condition ... he tried harder but still not very big.... he was okay, ready but he could have been feeling better!

The Blue Male one of my babies - had no bubble nest was very interested in the female but could not effectively build one.. I even through the female in with him.. nothing...

The first two successful breeding the red male - hundreds of fry the white Pk - min fry about 50 ... nothing from the third...

Once I took out the red male within days another nest built..

The White Pk pinched fins and not very active.. (treated him and he is fine)

The Blue male one of my babies - developed ICK with the female with him... I treated them both the female survived and my male died mysteriously nothing I could do to save him...

The Salt in the water helps keep ICK away ... and the raising of the temperature... Salt also helps with their degestion... <--- sp? lol

All my fry are healthy and happy...

Remember I had mentioned the hardwood leaves.. !! Atison's mentiones Almond leaves... well these aren't as available as OAK and or Maple leaves they will do pretty much the same thing.

Also that peat moss will help...

Good luck!

Thanks, for the great replies.

I have warmed up the water some and he is blowing bubbles again now the bubbles are just all over the place.

I moved the cup down to the other end where there seemed to be the most concentration of bubbles.

I will go add a bit of salt right away.

My other male who I thought would be doing better is not doing anything at all.

I will try bringing my other male who is not going to be breeding at all upstairs and see if a little competition might not lend a helping hand.

Thanks again.

how are the bettas doing? have they made there bubble nests yet?and is the one male eating yet?

Eating one or two bites then he doesn't seem interested anymore, not even the treats interest him and no bubbles from him yet.

One pair is together with a nest but as of about 10 minutes ago he's done nothing but chasing her around so far, they went together yesterday, if nothing by tonight I will take the male out.

Well no one seems interested in the leaves except to sleep on. my one male pulled the tip down into the water and just before bed he was sleeping on it.

I did notice a bit of bubbles along the sides, we'll see if someone decides to actually build a nest.

Thanks for all the input and help, we'll give it a little while and see how things go.

I've been keeping a journal, my memory is so bad so this keeps my timing straight. I suppose thats a little odd...lol...

Well I become slightly doubtful but I might get one of my pairs here to spawn after all.

My one male and female are both hovering under the nest, he's busy building it(my goodness it is getting huge, I used 16 ounce cups and it fills the cup as well as spreads out on both sides) and she is swimming back and forth beside him pausing to let her head droop and float her tail up and then carrying on, like shes saying it's beautiful now get a move on...lol

She was pretty aggressive though I was a little concerned she is mostly fine barely even frazzled fins and his tail(his beautiful tail) is almost completely destroyed.

Cross your fingers for us.

The bubbles are coming on thick and strong now, and I am very thankful for the help I have received on here because my males are very stubborn(I suppose thats a male thing but sheesh)