Keeping pond plants indoor during the winter?

kimax

Hello,

Currently we have a 130 gallon outdoor pond with 4 small koi and plenty of pond plants. Because the pond is only 2 feet deep, we overwinter the koi in a 100 gallon cattle trough in our heated garage. I am wondering though if any body keeps their pond plants overwinter as well and what kind of set up would be needed. The types of plants are a couple of lillies, a mint plant, water lettuce and hyacinth. There is no lighting on the garage "pond" but would it work to set up just an aquarium and put a couple of UV lights on it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Currently we have a 130 gallon outdoor pond with 4 small koi and plenty of pond plants. Because the pond is only 2 feet deep, we overwinter the koi in a 100 gallon cattle trough in our heated garage. I am wondering though if any body keeps their pond plants overwinter as well and what kind of set up would be needed. The types of plants are a couple of lillies, a mint plant, water lettuce and hyacinth. There is no lighting on the garage "pond" but would it work to set up just an aquarium and put a couple of UV lights on it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Get a fluorescent shop light ( maybe 1 or 2 of the 4' units) and try the phillips aquarium and plant lights... You can probably set it all up for about $50.

Hi... I've overwintered pond plants using a Cold Room. During the winter, the temperature is ~40 F. Plants such as lilies need to be drained of excess water, cut their tops back, and then double bag in black plastic garbage bags. I label mine on the outside and put in the cold room. Water lettuce and hyacinth I put in with the fish for awhile to help avoid a mini-cycle. The nursery told me not to expect to be able to overwinter those; they hadn't been able to. I kept an eye on how those plants were faring, and removed them if they looked like they were starting to melt, boy can they make a mess! If you know which mint plant you have, I can see if I have any information on how to winter that, or look it up and find out how hardy it is. Chances are the light from shop lights will be too low for most of the pond plants. The plants I used for winter, low light, were Golden Pothos, Paradise lily, anubias, and Java fern.

I hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi... I've overwintered pond plants using a Cold Room. During the winter, the temperature is ~40 F. Plants such as lilies need to be drained of excess water, cut their tops back, and then double bag in black plastic garbage bags. I label mine on the outside and put in the cold room. Water lettuce and hyacinth I put in with the fish for awhile to help avoid a mini-cycle. The nursery told me not to expect to be able to overwinter those; they hadn't been able to. I kept an eye on how those plants were faring, and removed them if they looked like they were starting to melt, boy can they make a mess! If you know which mint plant you have, I can see if I have any information on how to winter that, or look it up and find out how hardy it is. Chances are the light from shop lights will be too low for most of the pond plants. The plants I used for winter, low light, were Golden Pothos, Paradise lily, anubias, and Java fern.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies! The lily will stay in our cold room and as for the hyacinth its pretty much toast anyways. It was the lily I was most concerned about.

Thanks again!