Project; 90 gallon Lake Victoria

patrick

Here we go again. This time I will install a 48x24 AquaTerra Canyon Rock in a 90 gallon tank.

Here is the tank

90vic01-500.jpg

First I will remove the top frame. I am using a hobby knife to seperate the silicone from the frame.

90vic02-500.jpg

I am carefully bending the frame to loosen the silicone

90vic03-500.jpg

The frame is coming off

90vic04-500.jpg

Scraping off the old silicone

90vic05-500.jpg

Since the inner measurements on a 48" tank never is 48" the background needs to be trimmed down. I cut it about 1/4-1/2 inch shorter to allow for silicone to be applied in between. This is easily done with a hand saw.

90vic06-500.jpg

Fine tuning with a small surform plane

90vic07-500.jpg

I am marking out where I will cut out for the frame. This isn't really a must. You can just cut it flush to fit underneath, but doing it this way will ensure that the lid will be tight against the background preventing small fish from being able to jump behind.

90vic08-500.jpg

A dremel tool is very handy to have but this can also be done with a saw and a hobby knife.

90vic09-500.jpg

I trim the bottom corners of the background so the siliconed edges of the tank does not interfere with the background sitting flat on the bottom of the tank.

90vic10-500.jpg

Edited by patrick

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minor adjustments

90vic11-500.jpg

I also need to trim the height of the background about 1/2"

90vic12-500.jpg

Once again I am using the hand saw.

90vic13-500.jpg

Trimming the top of the background

90vic14-500.jpg

The background is in the tank and the top frame has been placed on top to make sure it fits properly.

90vic15-500.jpg

Next is to prepare for filtration and other equipment.

The overflow has been cut out at the top left.

90vic16-500.jpg

A grill has been cut.

90vic17-500.jpg

In place and glued.

90vic18-500.jpg

Main intake at the bottom left.

90vic19-500.jpg

Yet another grill has been cut.

90vic20-500.jpg

Both grills in place.

90vic23-500.jpg

The exposed edges of the background has been painted with black silicone.

90vic24-500.jpg

Sand has been added to the silicone.

90vic25-500.jpg

A piece of media sheet has been cut to fit in front of the grill. This will work as a pre-filter and prevent fry from being sucked in.

90vic26-500.jpg

90vic27-500.jpg

nice job Patrick ---I see you thoroughly thought this out before proceeding. But I am wondering why you had to remove the trim couldn't the background be cut to fit flush without removing it?

nice job Patrick ---I see you thoroughly thought this out before proceeding. But I am wondering why you had to remove the trim couldn't the background be cut to fit flush without removing it?

The background can be cut in half and then re-assembled in the tank. You can't get it in with the center brace in place. I decided against cutting the background because it's so easy to remove the trim. I think it took me 5-10 minutes to get it off. It is also easier to clean and work inside the tank with the trim off.

Drilling holes for filter outtake. There will be three holes, one for a XP3 and two more for an internal pump that will be installed behind the background.

90vic28-500.jpg

Making sure it fits

90vic29-500.jpg

Some silicone has been smeared inside the hole. This will create great friction to keep the outtake real nice and snug.

90vic31-500.jpg

From the front.

90vic30-500.jpg

Edited by patrick

I will run two filter systems on this tank. One external XP3 and one internal using the space behind the background. This is not really necessary, one will do fine with just the one behind the background, but I figure I'll do it this way for demonstration purposes.

This is the pump I am going to use.

90vic32-500.jpg

Here is how it's going to work.

90vic34-750.jpg

Edited by patrick

Tiime to get it siliconed in place. Once I have the background where I want it I outline it with a marker pen.

90vic35-500.jpg

I then apply silicone behind the line.

90vic36-500.jpg

The background is being inserted into the tank.

90vic37-500.jpg

I fill silicone into the 1/8 - 1/4 inch gap on each side.

90vic38-500.jpg

The silicone has been smeared out and sand has been tossed onto it.

90vic39-500.jpg

Side view of the left and right side. As you can see I could have glued the background closer to the back if I had chosen to go with the canister filter only, but I still have an average of 13-14 inches available in the tank.

90vic40-500.jpg

90vic41-500.jpg

The background is in place, sorry about the reflections on the glass...

90vic42-750.jpg

Edited by patrick

Looks great Patrick. I may have to do this with my 90 or 50 as well, that way I won't have to waste as much money on filtration.

What victorians are going in this one?

Thanks. Yes you can definaltely save some money on filtration. The RIO 6HF was less than $40 and pumps 350 gallon/hour. The plumbing was around $10 and then it's just the media. I am going to use media sheets and sponge cylinders which will cost around $15-$20 in total.

I have not decided yet what to put in it. Rock dwelling vic's from the Mbipi group would make most sense, 2-3 species.