Ricca...hard to find in calgary?

PacMan

Riccia is pretty difficult to get in Calgary. I had finally found some dwarf riccia after lots of looking and waiting, from a member on this site. I can get you some once mine has grown in really good again, I just got rid of some to others when I did an overhaul on the riccia. The very best store to get plants at is pisces pet emporium. They have the largest plant selection here in Calgary. Or if you ask around sometimes other members will have some of the plants you are looking for :)

http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php...77&filter=3 Here is a profile on the stuff. It requires the same care as the riccia fluitans, just doesn't have as big of leaves as the fluitans. It is great stuff, and when I get my tank trimmed up I will try and take more pictures for everyone to see. Thanks for the comps :)

If you can't find any around, I may also have some eventually. I put the tiniest piece in my tank and it's starting to grow (floating). Not enough to spare yet, but it shouldn't take long if I can keep it from getting choked out by the other weeds.

I find with high light, CO2 and nutrient supps it really thrives and grows fast. I am sure your riccia will be thriving in no time werner ^_^ And IMO it looks just as nice if not nicer than the fluitans when it grows out.

If you want a pic here is one of mine pearling....i have posted this before because it was spectacular and beautiful to see happen

DSC03354.jpg

Edited by firestorm

If you can't find any around, I may also have some eventually. I put the tiniest piece in my tank and it's starting to grow (floating). Not enough to spare yet, but it shouldn't take long if I can keep it from getting choked out by the other weeds.

Alright man, sounds good. Ill be heading into calgary on tuesday. So the search will start. thanks for the reply man.

Firestorm...wow. looks wicked man. Like i said before. you tank is wicked sick man. Let me know if you have any to spare later on.

• 2 weeks later...

do you guys soften your water? i have been told by a number of sources that riccia 'melts' in the hard Alberta water...

i am 2/3rds of the way to a high tech set up, reluctant to drop coin on a fancy co2 set up... but if someone can find a way to grow this stuff without peat or r/o water i would definitely go for it!

I had Riccia growing so much in "hard Alberta water" that I threw it all out! It's a weed with light, CO2 and Nitrogen. Keep away from Excel, tho - it melts pretty quick w. that stuff.

I have had mine in Calgary water now for about 4 months, and the guy I bought it from also had his in our water. I don't have driftwood or peat, or anything that will lower the hardness of the water. My riccia is flourishing. Just a week after cutting it back and re-doing it on the rocks, a week later it was nice and bushy again.

I would imagine that they were not using the right things for their riccia, like lights, CO2 (and yes excel will melt it) and ferts. If you dose too much on the excel, if using it for CO2 supplement, then I can see that being the cause of it melting. There are many plants that prefer softer water, but they still flourish in peoples hard water.