Using garden hose

Boom

Thanks everyone. Garden hose is safe, I'll stay away from the white RV hose. And yes I have a floor drain and one of those big laundry sinks very nearby. I should be able to just suck to start the syfon, and use the tank end of the hose to suck up poo. Sounds good. Thanks again.

Do not use the white hose from your trailer - the chemicals that are added to keep the mold and mildew from forming WILL kill your fish.

Good point, and on that same note not all garden hoses are created equally.

Dangerous lead levels found in some garden hoses

As far as wasting water with pythons, once any major debris is picked up I simply turn the water off at the tap & let it drain on its own.

As far as wasting water with pythons, once any major debris is picked up I simply turn the water off at the tap & let it drain on its own.

Exactly. It is very easy to do, you have a safe hose to use with your aquarium (I know the pythons are not cheap), but you have all the attachments ready for easy filling especially on larger aquariums. And you don't have to suck on the end of it. I normally put the siphon into the tank, suck on the end (it's a 50' hose so no fishy water in my mouth) and then prop it in the toilet and close the seats so it doesn't fall out. You can feel the air coming out of the hose after you suck so you know it's working.

Edited by firestorm

i use black 2"pvc tubing to run over the tank edge with a ballvalve on the outside to start and stop (no siphon needed) and have that connected to a sump discharge hose (10 bucks for 25') it drains at about 800gph, straight into the floor drain, real quick. i have a blue rainbarrel beside the tank to replace the water i drained, have a 1800gph magdrive to re-fill the tank. a 50gal waterchange takes me 5 min and i dont lift any water, just flip switches