Parahnas

Guest Master of Puppets

I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right correct me if I'm wrong. Is there an parahna speices I can keep in a 55g tank?

I'm making my room all fancy like, 40" inch hd tv, ps3, 360, soround sound, swade sheets, maybe a mini bar (jk)

but yeah is there any speices i can house?

I assume your talking piranha?

If so, the only one I would suggest would be an Elongatus Piranha. They are a solitary fish and don't get along well with others of their own kind. They probably will grow to around 8 inches and with a small powerhead for water circulation should do fine in a 55 gal.( length is probably the most important). I have mine ( around 6-7 inches) in a 33 gal right now and that may be a little small. This one seems to not bother plecos but I wouldn't put in any fish that you cared about.

If you do decide to go with one of these... let me know.. I'm in the process of arranging tanks and deciding what I want to keep and he may be one of the ones to go.

You can get more info on the species here..... http://www.piranha-fury.com/information/pr...?cat=p&id=8

HTH Fred

So if I get one I can't get any other fish with it? I'd really like bigger fish in this tank maybe but 2 or 3 but I want mean fish some that if you get to close to will try and bite you or chase you away from the tank.

Well.. you can put any fish you want with it. Sometimes they work for a while.. sometimes for a long time... sometimes not at all.. I've had a shoal of reds together for almost a year... then one day they just decided to do in one. An elong tends to be a fin biter.. it will take off the tail of fish and then seem to leave it to grow some back before it takes off another bite... at least that's what mine does.

It's a fish with teeth and if you put other aggressive fish in with it... it's anybody's guess what will happen.

If your looking for a super aggressive fish that will attack you when you come near the tank... then your probably better off with something other than piranha. Overall... they are a skittish fish.. but.. of the one's i have had or seen... the elong is probably the most aggressive.

well ive had people tell me they have a fish that chases pets away (dogs cats ect) when they get to close to the tank but i also want more than one fish but if i can just keep some non agressive but larger fish than that would be cool to

if you want something to chase people away get a wolf chiclid although you may have to upgrade your tank eventually IMO they will bite at anything

but if you have your heart set on piranha i have a couple reds about 4 inches i am willing to sell you for cheap if you are around the edmonton area.

-jo3l