NEWB hello

timmyg

Hi my name is Tim.

I currently have;

20 gallon tank with just endler's in it.

- still have to decide whether I want snails, cherry shrimp, small algae eater for clean up services.

-30 gallon tank with lemon tetras, columbian tetra, pea puffers, large golden algae eater (sorry i don't know scientific names for some of my fish), and 2 albino buenes aires Tetras (on female one male), and 2 cories in it. - the plan is to dismantle this tank and give it away to a friend.

-90 gallon tank - not set up - florite red - washed in buckets in garage, hood, lights, filter, heater purchased and collecting dust.

tank stand - in the works

the plan for this tank is to have a heavily planted community tank. -

I don't know if I could possibly go chilid? (do chilids need sandy bottom?, I love the way chilids and think there is definately enough variation within the chilid realm to have a chilid only tank.

After watching the optimal aquarium at ACE I am thinking of picking up a substrate heater as well.

suggestions are welcome.

Tim

:welcome: to the forum.

There is lots of valuable information to be had on here. First of all, in my opinion, setting up a planted community tank, you probably want to go with some Central or South American Cichlids. A lot of the African Cichlids will probably tear up and / or uproot your plants. By the sounds of it some people have had luck with plants and cichlids, you can ask them for more info.

Secondly, last night was the first time I ever heard about using a substrate heater. I ran a 20g planted / community with about 2-2.5 watts per gallon, a DIY CO2 and laterite substrate and my plants did very well. Currently I am running a 70g planted / community with a little over 1 watt per gallon and just aquarium gravel. I have not used a substrate heater in either. I don't think it is something you need to spend money on (unless you want to try it out). I just use a regular heater for the aquarium.

There are lots of people on here that know a lot about cichlids and plants, so check out the forum and feel free to ask questions. Once again welcome to the site.

Howdy Tim!

Welcome to AA!