Combining Monsters...

terrors r us

Combining Giants///  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So what are the dimensions of this tank going to be? Hopefully not too deep, you will need scuba gear just to do anything in it lol. IME with really deep tanks, I absolutely hate them. Especially when trying to remove rocks, or trying to move them around. I have some I have to climb a 6 foot ladder just to get into to do maintenance on them. What a pain.........but I still wish I could have a tank that size :wub:

So what are the dimensions of this tank going to be? Hopefully not too deep, you will need scuba gear just to do anything in it lol. IME with really deep tanks, I absolutely hate them. Especially when trying to remove rocks, or trying to move them around. I have some I have to climb a 6 foot ladder just to get into to do maintenance on them. What a pain.........but I still wish I could have a tank that size :wub:

Dimensions don't matter lol....

the tank is 10ft x 4ft x 30inches high..........I know what you mean about high tanks!!!!

I used to have a 6ft x 2ft x 3ft high tank and it was a real pain to clean or move rocks...

I used to have a six foot ladder and still had to stick my entire shoulder into the tank...

What a pain......

This tank is 30 inches high instead of 36 inches and that should make a big difference.....

thanks

hey Ryan, sad about your loss.... how many were in that tank? what size of tank?

what size were the fish when you got them and when they got bloat?

how many other species were in there? Was there alot of fighting between

them or between other species? What type of food? How much per day?

Any info. you could give me would be great!!! Maybe one day one of us

can figure out this problem!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

I got 6 Haitiensis in a 120 gallon (4x2x2)

The fish were anywhere from 1.5 - 2" when I got them, they bloated the biggest one was a little over 3" smallest one being a little over 2.

Only other thing in the tank was 3 Honduran red points, and 2 clown loaches. No fighting at all, everyone ignored eachother, only fighting was within the Hait's

Feeding them New Life Spectrum TherA pelets, and Spirulina twice a day.

Temp was 86 consistantly, and I did between a 30-50% waterchange every 3 days.

After doing what I did i thought theres no way that they will bloat up for me lol. Anyways, hope my experience helped and let me know how yours do when you get them :)

hey Ryan, sad about your loss.... how many were in that tank? what size of tank?

what size were the fish when you got them and when they got bloat?

how many other species were in there? Was there alot of fighting between

them or between other species? What type of food? How much per day?

Any info. you could give me would be great!!! Maybe one day one of us

can figure out this problem!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

I got 6 Haitiensis in a 120 gallon (4x2x2)

The fish were anywhere from 1.5 - 2" when I got them, they bloated the biggest one was a little over 3" smallest one being a little over 2.

Only other thing in the tank was 3 Honduran red points, and 2 clown loaches. No fighting at all, everyone ignored eachother, only fighting was within the Hait's

Feeding them New Life Spectrum TherA pelets, and Spirulina twice a day.

Temp was 86 consistantly, and I did between a 30-50% waterchange every 3 days.

After doing what I did i thought theres no way that they will bloat up for me lol. Anyways, hope my experience helped and let me know how yours do when you get them :)

Ditto, doing everything perfect and they still die.

I'm thinking of getting one just for a tank in crappy condition, and then it will probably live lol.

Didn't you use Metronidazole on them when they started bloating up too?

hey guys......I did some more research and found another thing to consider...

have you ever eaten a pizza late at night and then gone to bed???????

ya, I know I have....how do you feel in the morning??????

anyway, word has it that late night feeding,,,,then the lights go out......

the fishes metabolisim slows down causing food to start rotting in their gut..

then the bad parasites come to life.....then the white feces....

I am just a messenger but what time of day do people feed their fish before

the lights go out??????????????????

KEEP HUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could be nothing but we will leave no rock unturned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL...........

Wow a tank that size must be amazing to own... all the possibilities... have you ever kept any species of cichla???

no I have not.......tell me more about their personality.............

I still have fairly limited experience with them, I have 4 cichla monoculus they are 3-4" right now. They are growing really fast, about oscar speed maybe a little quicker, they can be picky about eating though. Mine are eating bloodworms which is kinda fun cus they just snag them out of my finger tips while i putem in. They seem really friendly. They also beg for food just like oscars when you walk by the tank. I have done lots of research and learned from a lot of experienced cichla owners though so I guess I will share this info, i'm not trying to de-rail, sorry if I am....Monoculus and occelaris should have eventual length of about 24" in aquaria but it should start slowing a tad bit after 12", Growing about 1+" a month up to that point. Orinocensis, which I know the least about, apparently should get to about 30" but are known for being the slowest growing peacock bass, but also the most aggressive of them, and most aggression is known to be between other species in the cichla family and temensis, which are monsters, should reach over 3' although very few people have them over 30" in aquariums because they are so difficult to house at larger sizes. They are also the fastest growing cichla known to grow up to and possibly over 2" a month depending on feeding. These are the easiest kind to obtain, although orinocensis are getting much harder to get and I haven't seen them here in edmonton before. When juvenile all species like temps of 86+ faranheit, with possibly a little aquarium salt because they are suseptible to ich at that age. This also increases their metabolism. Overall I have found them very interesting, and feeding time, even when young, is fun to watch because they are pursuit predators and can display great speed and power.

Sounds like you may be onto something, my lights are on from Noon to 10pm, i'd usually feed at about 3 when i get home from work, and around 8 or 9. The odd time though I may have fed closer to 10. Guess I never thought it was that big of a deal.

Good point, definitely may be on to something.

My lights are only on from like 6 until 1ish, with me feeding the fish at approx. 12:30. (little later some nights due to working lol)

I don't think I can seem to beat this stupid bloat.

Perfect water, high heat, aquarium salt, and a varied diet and I still seem to get it.

I lost a whole batch of 12 Haits previously, and didnt wanna try them again until recently.

I got two off of Ryan, one died almost the day after I got them, and I thought I had the bloat in the clear, but as soon as I start feeding again the stupid thing gets bloat.

I'm gonna stop feeding it for a whole, hopefully it'll live...

Only thing left to try is a UV sterilizer. Wish I would've bought one earlier, I just lost my Istlantum the other day.