A bum ballast?

Oneiroid

I have a Coralife 65 watt PC lamp that has started flickering every so often, making crackly sounds at the same time. Is this a ballast problem? Is is safe to use until I can fix or replace it? Can I fix it?

Arg - this is not even the same lamp that I am having fan issues with, bah.

Well, I just bought and tried a new bulb in it (I thought that might have been the problem but the lamp is acting the same as with the old bulb) and I'd say I bought the lamp about 3 years ago.

Unplug the power to the light fixture and proceed to check ALL connections to see if any wiring is loose. Pay special attention to the socket where the lamp plugs into. When you hear that crackling sound, It is usually caused by a make and break in the circuit. The factory connection is usually a compression type connector and if the wires are not inserted or compressed properly that could also be a source of your problem.

Take care

PS

check the archives about coralife lights. it probably is the ballast, and if it is, it CANT be replaced

I can't see why it can't be replaced... It might be too expensive to warrant changing, but ballasts can be bought at electrical stores. I also have a coralife PC type light with problems. I will take a few photos as I take it apart and do some testing.