Lump on Betta

vchriste

Hi! Please bear with me...I'm new at this!

Anyways, I've had Betta's almost my entire life and I've never experienced anything like this...I have a new fish, he's just a plain ol'Betta housed in a divided tank with a Crowntail. Over this past week he has developed a 'growth' right near the bottom of his belly on his scales, near his fin. It has grown over the past week too. I'm sorry that I can't get a picture of it (my memory card isn't working properly) but it really looks similar to a whitehead! There are no other growths or spots on his body, the other fish is doing just fine as well. Does anyone know what this could be? And is it treatable or just leave it.

Thanks for all your help!

Vanessa

Anyways, I've had Betta's almost my entire life and I've never experienced anything like this...I have a new fish, he's just a plain ol'Betta housed in a divided tank with a Crowntail. Over this past week he has developed a 'growth' right near the bottom of his belly on his scales, near his fin. It has grown over the past week too. I'm sorry that I can't get a picture of it (my memory card isn't working properly) but it really looks similar to a whitehead! There are no other growths or spots on his body, the other fish is doing just fine as well. Does anyone know what this could be? And is it treatable or just leave it.

Vanessa

A picture of it would be better, but under the description you gave us, if its under the belly near the bottom fin and looks like a white dot that is HER vent especially if its particularly larger and had not noticed it before.

Humm.. let me see if I have a picture and you can tell me if this is what and where it was...

This is a female betta, she has a white dot under her belly, you can see it behind the two fins.. does it appear like shown in this photo?

post-2037-1226888908_thumb.jpg

Vanessa

A picture of it would be better, but under the description you gave us, if its under the belly near the bottom fin and looks like a white dot that is HER vent especially if its particularly larger and had not noticed it before.

Humm.. let me see if I have a picture and you can tell me if this is what and where it was...

This is a female betta, she has a white dot under her belly, you can see it behind the two fins.. does it appear like shown in this photo?

post-2037-1226888908_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have a female....it doesn't look like any female I've ever seen! And the little bump is only visible on the left hand side and rather between the two fins It's actually right in the middle of the anal fin....Anyways, I got my picture up and I hope it helps, it's not the clearest in the world, but it's the best I can do for now. I really appreciate all the help and I look forward to hearing some other replies!!

Thanks again

Vanessa

post-3775-1226895597_thumb.jpg

Okay, that appears to be a possible parasite infection... but before you move on to treating him with medicines, lets try to start with the basics.

Add a little salt marine salt and or Epson salt and up the temp first give it a day or two, does he swim normally? Eating? does he hang below the water surface?

The salt will help if its bacterial infection, such as ICK.. Ick doesn't lick salt and the higher temps, if we do this for a day or two that will elimate ICK which is normally a secondary illness, but its a start.

This will also help other things as well, if the white dot does not disappear with the salt bath then we can assume it is a parasite, which you will need to get something to treat, I just use LIFE SAVER for fry, it helps with alot of Common Parasites, and works well with my betta's... One drop per day for the max of two days...

Hopefully that will be all you will need to do, good luck hope he is okay.

:thumbs:

That's what I had originally thought, but dreadding it was actually Ich (however, I though Ich was a parasite and not a bacterial infection). However, he is swimming fine, eating like a pig and still very active (not hanging around on bottom/top) or anything, and the other fish that he's housed with is fine as well. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...

Ich is a parasitic infection. The raised temps help them to go through their life cycle faster, thus causing them too not produce as much nor stay on the fish as long. Salt helps to kill infections. IMO ich is one of the easiest diseases to get rid of, and if treated on time won't cause as much harm as other parasites can do. Hopefully your treatment works on him :)