What to put in my 20 gallon

wicked

Hi just wanted to ask a question. I have a twenty gallon that I am slowly getting back to normal from a nitrate spike.

I only have two fish at this point left in the tank a platty and a Black skirt.

I want to put something in there that is hardy and colorful. I just can not make up my mind on what.

So I am looking for input. I would like to put just a couple in the tank prefer not going with Tetra or guppies.

Any idea's????????????

Anything in the Cichild line of fish that I could put in there.

Bolivian Rams and/or Apistos.

I wouldn't add rams or apistos until you have controlled your water problems. They can be sensitive to water conditions.

If your NitrAtes were high you need to do lots of water changes to bring them down and then monitor them weekly so they dont' rise again. Weekly water changes are recommended to keep them under control. Adding plants will also help keep them reduced. Was your tank over stocked? How often were you doing water changes? Any decaying plant matter or food in the tank? These are all things that can contribute to high Nitrates.

As for what cichlids can be added, there are a couple options. Like mentioned above, rams(bolivian and blue) and apistos(look for a hardy species like Cacatuoides) will work. If you want to go with africans, shell dwellers are a good choice as you can have a small group in a 20g. I currently have a breeding pair of Julidochromis in a 20g with some platies thats working out well.

• 1 month later...