House humidity help!

MarkN

Get a dehumidifier don't get HVAC thats an investment over rated. The nice part is the insulation and vapour barrier on your house is probably pretty good suprising considering when it was built. Those fans are important and you should be running those fans during and right after showers fish tank or not. Tell your wife she is making your ceiling yellow. However mold is pretty rare in Alberta and you would need to produce a lot of standing moisture and I mean a lot to create mold issues. You see mold in houses with outside leaks where the moisture gets trapped in the walls but it is so dry in alberta this is rare. Also despite the popular belief toxic mold isn't going to kill you over night if you have bad asthma are real old or have respiratory issues it will make you sick. If you are healthy its not that bad and easy to treat. Open some windows before you get HVAC that will help circulate air.

Read the post Toadie

I didn't say to get HVAC, I suggest getting in anHVAC contractor to do an assaement.

HVAC is what they call heating contractors.

The assesment suggestion was bassed on a profesionals opinion, not someone whojust thinks they know.

• 2 weeks later...

opening windows will not help the situation. The problem is cold air is brought in from the outside house and cold air doesnt hold much moisture. The air is then heated inside the house. Warm air can hold significantly more moisture then cold air, so it starts sucking the moisture out of the tanks.

I would bet that you didnt notice a problem during the summer and that is because the air coming into your house is already warm and is holding moisture and cant take in much more so not too much water is evaporated from the tanks.

The best thing to do IMO would be to put a dehumidifier in the fish tank room.

As far as the bathroom goes as long as you leave the door closed and run the fan for at least 20min after you shouldn't have a problem there.

I have the same problem with the moisture and it shows on windows on the main floor and up stairs as well, even though I dont have any tanks upstairs.

HVAC, you already have it. It is a term that stands for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning. Never hurts to have a professional to have a look at it, an improper set up can be costing you more money than an inspection would. A de-humidifier would help but you need to find the problem. Moisture around you window could mean they are not sealed properly are they metal sliding window’s.

I are no pro. Start with the simple stuff . I have read this thread top to bottom and I have not seen any mention of laundry,,,yes laundry. Do you have a dryer vent hose ? Is you dryer hose free of leaks? Is it vented to the outside of the dwelling? Is it a detached dwelling? If you stand out side with your face on the vent output does it BLAST hot air in your face? If you have answered no to any of these questions ...the source of the humidity is not your aquariums