Black Brush Algae

dk77

Hey guys;

So my tank (planted/tanganyika tank) has gone through all kinds of algae changes since I started it up, first there was the brown algae, then that was taken over by the green algae, and now this black brush algae is taking over my tank. It is beginning to be a real pain as it clings very strongly to my plants and looks like shite. I did some reading and besides finding out thats its quite hard to get rid of I read that increasing the doses of excel might cure it, has anyone here experienced this black brush algae? and has anyone had any success getting rid of it with carbon?

I'm having the same problem and found excel hasn't solved it but looks like it may have helped some. I've just finished a bottle by daily doses of about 1/2 teaspoon (20g tank).

I've also been told that decreased light, increased water movement, plants, lower water level and daily water changes help. I haven't had a lot of spare time so I haven't kept up with extra water changes but I have added plants, lowered the water level a bit (though I'm not sure how that's supposed to help) and I'm adding a bubbler next week.

I'm told the additional water changes are quite important, I've wondered if this would cause an excess of nutrients in the water but on the other hand it would take care of any nitrAte problem that might be present. My nitrAtes are only 5 and I've recently lost the BN pleco who was in that tank so I'm expecting them to go even lower.

I had Brush algae once in a tank I had..... I found that the only real cure was to remove everything that had the sruff growing / replanted the plant material that didnt have any of it on it and made sure that the tank was in balance..... no overfeeding or overfertilizing... I found that liqud ferlizers are hard to control and can contribute to this problem.... there is a chart for fertilizing that is pinned at the beggining of this section... check it out and go to a hydroponic store and they can set you up with the right dry fertilizers for a very small price...

I'd assume lowering the water level is to limit the amount of nutrients available to all the plants, so your plants use more and the algae has less?
made sure that the tank was in balance..... no overfeeding or overfertilizing... I found that liqud ferlizers are hard to control and can contribute to this problem.... there is a chart for fertilizing that is pinned at the beggining of this section... check it out and go to a hydroponic store and they can set you up with the right dry fertilizers for a very small price...

Limiting the amount of nutrients doesn't do much to hurt the algae, only your plants. Your plants and algae are competing for the same nutrients. However, algae are simpler and better able to scavenge minute amounts; some will even switch nutrient sources if another is in short supply. This gives them the advantage over your plants if nutrients are limited.

One of the current popular fertilizing regimes (EI- pinned) relies on overdosing nutrients so that none are in short supply for the plants. The plants grow well and in turn inhibit the algae.

It's all about balancing your nutrient supply with light levels and CO2 availability.

I read that increasing the doses of excel might cure it, has anyone here experienced this black brush algae? and has anyone had any success getting rid of it with carbon?

I have found that this algae prefers higher pH/ harder water/ low CO2. I haven't had any since adding a CO2 system many years ago. Of course, because this is a Tanganyika type tank, adding CO2 to get soft, acidic water is out. :( Unfortunately most plant species do better in softer acidic water too, so your plant choices are also limited.

Give the Excel a shot- it's pretty effective on this stuff when overdosed. If it's just on a couple plants and decorations, you can spot treat them (shoot some directly onto the algae with a syringe). Otherwise you can OD the Excel for the whole tank. Usually 2-3x the recommended dosage works. You should see the algae changing color (turning reddish) when it's dieing.

Edited by werner

cool, thanks for the advice guys. The Brush algae is not everywhere yet, the takeover has just begun, I think I will remove any that I see on the plants, overdose the tank with excel, and turn back the lights a bit. I'll let you know how it pans out.

DK

I have had this algae in the past. Depending on what fish you keep in the tank and the size of it, the best cure for it are siamese algae eaters. Mine I had gotten after having an outbreak and they had the stuff devoured in a few days. Other than that the only other cure is overdosing with excel. If you double dose of excel it should also help getting rid of it. Be careful with this process though because some plants are very sensitive to excel and will melt.

A few years ago my tank was badly covered in BBA. I tried to get rid of it for over a year. I finally got rid of it after I did this:

Throw out the heavily infected plants and bleach(20:1 solution) any others that have any BBA attached. Bleach any rocks/driftwood that also have BBA on them. Increase your CO2. At the time I upped my DIY yeast bottles not sure if excel works. Then once all the visible BBA was gone, I added some small SAE to keep it from coming back. Its been about 4 years now and it didn't come back. Every now and then I see the odd BBA tuft but I quickly remove it.

I hate BBA. It took over my tank and I had to pretty much throw away 90% of my plants(Thats a lot of plants in a 58g :(). So deal with it before it spreads too much as its a pain in the @$$ if it takes over.

My boyfriend had an SAE in with his mbuna, unfortunately the only drawback with keeping them with more aggressive fish is that they become more aggressive themselves. But his has been with his fish for over a few months now and it's still alive. I did a dip last night with some of my plants to get rid of staghorn algae, and I used 1 capful of excel to 2 cups water, and today the algae is turning red on my anubias. Of course this method will not work well with sensitive plants like vals, riccia, or other plants that have been known to melt with too much excel.

cool, thanks for the advice guys. The Brush algae is not everywhere yet, the takeover has just begun, I think I will remove any that I see on the plants, overdose the tank with excel, and turn back the lights a bit. I'll let you know how it pans out.

DK

Be careful with the overdose method.... it can kill your fish! 2-3X is ok but anything much over that you might be dissapointed with the outcome...

I would try try spot treating with excel if it hasnt spread far ... as Werner pointed out.... then balance your tank with the proper nutrients etc.

I think I will toss an SAE in the tank too, hopefully the tanganyikans leave him alone. Thanks for the tips, and good luck with your battle Eowyn!

These guys are good natural remedy but rarely eat enough to keep it down... they soon learn to like whatever the other fish eat and get to be about 4-5 inches long... and oh ya at that point eat nearly no algae unless that is the only food around..

good luck with your problem / We all go through this at least once...