African cichlid pics...

Boom

I actually tryed that Taylor, but they didn't turn out well. With no flash the shutter speed wasn't fast enough to not get blurr with the moving fish. Suggestions?

Boom

Try setting the aparture as low as it goes (a regular lens should go down to f3.5) and up the ISO, try ISO 400 first and set the shutter at 100. If that does not work out try ISO 800. It will get a bit grainy at high ISO but it will allow for higher shutter speeds.

Thanks patrick, any advice from you on this topic is worth it's weight in diamonds. I could only dream to take pics as good as yours.

Now I'll have to sit down and figure out those manual settings! I just use Auto, or sports and don't know how to adjust the aperture or ISO by themselves.

Boom :boom:

change your iso setting..iso 100 is nice for picture quality, but in terms of capturing movement in "low" light, it's just not going to get the job done...never really looked in to the panasonics in terms of iso noise, but try around iso 400, if they aren't overly grainy you can still go a little higher.I was shooting some shots today at 400 ISO with my camera and the quality didn't suffer...this is shot with a much wider aperture lens than you're using though

fish-2.jpg

Hey Ryan, another tip I don't think you've gotten yet: I find it helps very much to do a photo session a few minutes after feeding time, the fish are much more calm and move about less. Not sure if this would be quite the same with African cichlids, but this is my experience with most cyprinids (even the spazzy schooling types).

Hope this helps a bit,

Taylor

Ha ha. Good suggestion Taylor, but after feeding time they are swimming around like nuts trying to find more food.

On top of that, there is lots of"crumbs" left in the water and it doesn't look very clean for a while.

What if I try in the middle of the night after lights off? Just switch the tanks lights on and start shooting? Maybe they'll still be sleepy?

Boom :boom: