Travelling with plants...

thedarkstar

This may not be in the right place but...

I have a friend currently visiting family in Florida, and I'm interested in seeing if she can bring back some wild-found aquarium plants.

Does anyone know what the regulations are on this, or where I might find more info? I've been searching through import/export laws here and would just like some confirmation.

hey tyler, I am not sure if you should do this. you would have to get it though coustoms. and if it can survive in our waters they wont let you for sure. I don't know for sure where you can get this info but one of the other members might.

Well, from what I've read its a matter of having them tested.

Granted, if they're plants that shouldn't be here because they can survive...

How do we have planted aquaria here? Alot of the plants that have been introduced to Florida via aquaria are now taking over the natural landscape and alot of these are being sold to us at fish stores lol.

The only thing I could see wrong with this are bacteria, hence the aforementioned tests.

But I'm just curious if that's all that's required.

If you put them into a makeup bag and have something else, like a box of fish to distract them, you don't have to worry about it. Not that I've ever done anything like that!!!

From whay I understand it is harder to get plants across then fish. You call the customs office at EIA and ask them what they would need from you to get them in. If they say no problem tell make sure that you give them your flight info so that they have a heads up.

To bring aquatic plants into the country from the US, you need a Phytosanitary Certificate (from US gov't inspection $$$) listing the plant species to make sure they are not on the prohibited list. Imports from other countries also require an import permit.

Plants with soil/soil related matter are even more touchy since the soil has to be declared free of pests too.

Here's a listing of all the requirements, etc.: Plant Protection Import Requirements for Rooted, or Unrooted Plants, Plant Parts, and Plants In Vitro for Planting

So- wild-collected plants would not be allowed past customs. Of course, there's always a chance that little contraband sniffing beagle wouldn't be on duty...

To bring aquatic plants into the country from the US, you need a Phytosanitary Certificate (from US gov't inspection $$$) listing the plant species to make sure they are not on the prohibited list. Imports from other countries also require an import permit.

Plants with soil/soil related matter are even more touchy since the soil has to be declared free of pests too.

Here's a listing of all the requirements, etc.: Plant Protection Import Requirements for Rooted, or Unrooted Plants, Plant Parts, and Plants In Vitro for Planting

So- wild-collected plants would not be allowed past customs. Of course, there's always a chance that little contraband sniffing beagle wouldn't be on duty...

He was off with the "sniffles" the night I went through. Not that I brought any plants back!!