Aulonocara group

Gnaw

I've been trying to figure out the exact name of this blue fish from the Aulonocara group this is my best shot of him or her?

post-3859-1230568032_thumb.jpg

I don't think this is a Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi because the Dorsal and anal fin are not long and fancy,

Nor do I think its a Aulonocara Masoni due to the color of the pelvic fin.

The closest I found is Aulonocara Saulosi mainly becuase of the marking on the pelvic fin. But mine is so blue? Any suggestions?

If you bought it without knowing exactly which Aulonocara species it is, unfortunately it's just too hard to ID them because they can change from the wild to captivity, and because of the hybrid issues as well. Great looking peacock though.

Thanks for the compliment, I choose him out of the entire lot. The poor fish-keeper had to try at least several times to net this guy in particular.

I am still new to cichlids, I haven't even had them for a year yet. When I did acquire him I at least made the effect to maintain a list of fish I wanted/getting at that time so I could research them accordingly. However, when one's house is getting renovations many things end-up getting trashed....

You may never find out a 100% positive Id on your peacock best way to id them is a reliable dealer. It does look a lot like a Alonocara stuartgranti "hansbaenschi" type, possibly a "ntekete" but it is tough to say for sure

You may never find out a 100% positive Id on your peacock best way to id them is a reliable dealer. It does look a lot like a Alonocara stuartgranti "hansbaenschi" type, possibly a "ntekete" but it is tough to say for sure

I think your right with the stuartgranti he looks just like him. I think the one in this picture is a little older, but I can see all of these features in him! tyvm

Gnaw, I'm gonna agree that it is most likely an Aulonocara stuartgranti. There are about 40 color varients and you fish looks like one commonly called a "Red shoulder", as Jorg pointed out.

As African Fever pointed out, you may never know EXACTLY, with peacocks sometimes you can't even trust the stores to KNOW for sure.

Boom :boom: