*Nudge*

AndyL

I am still trying to research enough so I don't ask ridiculously stupid questions lol

My first thing I want to know about will be lighting stuff. My plans will be for a very small tank setup...enough for those hermit crabs or some shrimp. I could boot the betta out of the razzle tank I just got (I bought him a better home at the auction) or I could go with a 5 gal tank. I still don't know.

Just my opinion, but I would try to avoid starting in a really small tank, there is a greater chance for failure that way. But then again, alot depends on what you want to keep. I would guess you have already heard or read this somewhere, but water quality in small tanks can change very suddenly. I keep looking @ these nano reef set-ups, and think it would be cool to have one. Only prob. is that the plan keeps growing, and growing, etc. Was thinking that a 20 gal nano would be good, and yet now it looks as though more like a 66 gal. min!

(might turn into a 80...)

wow, I have been checking out some "beginner info" over at canreef. I have a lot to learn and look up. When I think of a question, I will be sure to ask. My first thing I will do is decide what type of inhabitants I want in a tank....so my first question will be about that probably.

Anyways, the reason I want to try out with a smaller tank is due to the expense. The live rock and stuff seems very expensive so I would like to try something smaller just to get comfortable with what testing I need to do etc.

I am also trying to go with as much stuff that I already own. This includes a razzle dazzle setup (small, but the light is incredibly bright and the filter has a lot of flow). A 3 gal plastic tank, a couple 5 gal plastic tanks, a minibow (nice looking tank), a 20 gal tall and a 25 gal. I have a small internal filter powerhead thing and a couple small aquaclear/regent HOB filters that are just laying around.

Most wont agree with me... But I'd go for something in the 2.5g range if moneys tight and you want to keep it relatively cheap.

The razzle dazzle is a bit too small, and is somewhat iffy for actual long term survival of residents (I've yet to find one that's been run 6-8 months without major overhauls).

But going small also adds some complexity, I wouldn't recommend anything below a 5g without some sort of auto top-off. My tank goes through 2L of top off water every 5 days - keeping conditions stable is your biggest priority - and with that small a quantity of water, it's even more important

Andy