Alien - What is this?

PiscesGirl

10g planted Ram tank. Once a week 50% water change and Pfertz dosing.

I started a new thread for this one as I have no idea if it is algae or not. I spotted it this evening and there doesn't seem to be more than just the two (at least none that I can see) one on the plant and one on the glass.

Does anyone know what this is? To me it looks like something you would find in a saltwater tank!

P1032126Medium.jpg

P1032125Medium.jpg

P1032125Medium.jpg

Much Thanks!!

All about hydra here: The Skeptical Aquarist.

Chances are, there are more than the two you have spotted. With a planted tank, you probably have all sorts of little critters that you may or may not be aware of. Hydra populations can suddenly explode and just as suddenly disappear. They're not really an issue unless you're trying to raise fry in there.

I had a pretty decent hydra outbreak this fall after setting up a new tank. I happened to use a syringe full of Fluorish Excel on some green dust algae that I had on the glass... and the hydra in the immediate area disappeared too. I am assuming that the Excel has the same biocidal effects on less complex animals as it does on algae and simple plants. It is possible that they detached from the glass and just moved somewhere else, though.

Thanks for the wealth!

I spotted only the 2 in that pic that day.. then since then I couldn't find any until this evening when I found a big one!

Well, that's good news that they are not harmful to my fish and I will grab some excel next LFS visit.

Thanks again! :)