Getting ready for my nano tank.

Erin

I building a small (just over 16 gal) nano tank. Now I'm looking at different items for it. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers to some of the products I've selected (haven't bought just selected)

Taam Rio Nano Skimmer

Aquaclear Powerhead #201

And what heater should I be looking at... will a normal freshwater heater work just as good or is there a special saltwater heater?

And do I need a filter system?

Erin

1. From what I've read of the Rio Nano Skimmer, I'd either skip it or save up for something better (like an AquaC Nano remora). Weekly 25% waterchanges should negate the need for a skimmer in a small tank.

2. The Hydor Koralia series of powerheads is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to SW tanks. A pair of Koralia Nano's would do nicely.

3. I like Stealth heaters because they are not made of glass. 100W should do the trick. You don't need anything special, just don't bother with the cheap ones.

4. Your live rock (plus powerheads for water movement) will be the bulk of your biological filtration. You can use a HOB filter for chemical and mechanical filtration as well but make sure to rinse any media with hot tap water every couple of days otherwise it will become a nitrate factory.