16" cube ideas

Beermaster

Okay here is the goal

I picked up a 16" cube to make a nano tank with

I want to have a sump/fuse ( going to use a 5-10gal tank) with a auto topoff

what i am having a little issue with is plumbing and building the overflow for it

i have a couple ideas, but having never done this before, could use a little guidance :D

I will post some pictures tonight or tommorow of some of my ideas

I am able to get the tanked drilled at my local glass shop (a couple good freinds own it)

thx in advance

Mark

I think external overflow boxes are the only way to go (notch the top of the tank, install a box on the back). Easy enough to DIY.

When you build it (or buy the pieces) get holes for 2 1" bulkheads - then you can run a setup similar to chad's (fish on canreef), the primary drain is throttled down via a ball valve to what the pump returns. Results in a 100% quiet return. the second bulkhead, gets a standpipe (3-4") so that it's acting as a backup - if somehow the pump kicks it up a notch etc - the water will still end up in the sump, not on the floor.

On my new 65g I'm using a UGJ type setup, so I can avoid 3-4 setups, and just rely on the return pump from the sump. There's a picture in the SW forum. Wasn't too bad to build - bit of a challenge melting the pvc into a nozzle shape without causing burning down the house.

Auto topoff is relatively simple. There are dozens of DIY electrical diagrams around - for a tank like my 2.5 I can get away with a air driven unit (just a battery air pump + float switch), most larger tanks however require a bit more of a system.

For your system, you'll probably want to run with a powerhead driven unit, will require a powerhead, relay, float switch & 12/24v transformer (will depend on what relay). Float switch mounts on the return pump side of the sump - any time water drops below a set level, powers fed to the powerhead, which pumps water (or water / kalk mix) into the sump.

I think external overflow boxes are the only way to go (notch the top of the tank, install a box on the back). Easy enough to DIY.

okay so build this box outta glass and attach it to the back of the tank?

or what about putting a piece of glass that is only say 14.5" tall in about 3"-4" away from the back on the inside? wouldnt that do the same effect? or kida cut like

Front view

|`````` \_________/ ``````|      

top view

|   | |                                     |

|     |                                     |

|___|__________________|

thats what i was kinda thinking of

will require a powerhead, relay, float switch & 12/24v transformer (will depend on what relay)

where would i find a float switch?

sry for all the questons , i just wanna try to do this right :D

Edited by Beermaster

okay so build this box outta glass and attach it to the back of the tank?

or what about putting a piece of glass that is only say 14.5" tall in about 3"-4" away from the back on the inside? wouldnt that do the same effect?  or kida cut like

Front view

|`````` \_________/ ``````|     

top view

|        | |                                    |

|    |                                    |

|___|__________________|

thats what i was kinda thinking of

That will work but the real advantage of having the external overflow is it takes up no room in the tank.

where would i find a float switch?

Talk to Harvey (newguy) about Auto-Top-Offs. He makes them and his prices are really good for the whole setup. You might have to pm him on Canreef though.

sry for all the questons , i just wanna try to do this right :D

No worries m8 we all have to learn sometime. If you don't ask you won't ever get an answer... B)

Okay maybe i just have to see one, to understand the concept!

I have never done SW or a sump, i do lots of reading on it but itstill hasn't sunk totally in

Does anyone here in edmonton have a SW with a overflow and sump that wouldn't mind a visit?

I'll bring beer.............................. :beer: :lol:

thx

Mark

Edited by Beermaster

Too bad you didn't tell me, you could have checked out my tank and sump when you picked up that cube from me. I think a large majority of the people on canreef use sumps on their tanks and most likely won't mind a visitor... especially if that visitor brings beer :lol:

-Rich

Ok so building an external overflow, I would have to notch the back of that and attach the overflow to the outsde back glass correct?

what advantage does this give over building a overflow inside the tank. the issue i have is i wan this to be very clean looking with no real hardware visible

kinda like this but on a bigger scale

1185050228_008-med.jpg

man so many options to think about lol

Is it possible to use and aquaclear 300 or something for an external overflow? With a few mods/valves, would this not drain down to the sump, with your pump returning at an equal amount? I saw an external overflow @ Aquarium Illusions that was acrylic, but I think it was over $100 bucks!

Just a thought, anyone think it would work? And what would you have to do to make it work without the risk of flooding? :eh:

It could work with a few modifications... some modifications would include a box hung/clamped on the inside of the tank, and a couple other more minor mods on the AC300 unit itself. The problem I have with hangon overflow boxes is that they may be prone to failure over a period of time. I have read quite a few diaster threads where the overflow box lost its siphon. IMO, its worth putting out a small amount of extra work it takes to actually drill your tank (assuming its not tempered).

Beermaster - Chad's tank (the one that you posted) is connected to an Eheim canister which he modified with a light inside of it. You can't achieve that look with the standard tank/sump combination... because if your power ever goes out, or your return pump fails, your entire display tank will drain into your sump and probably all over your floor :boxed: . Like what a few people have already suggested to you, I would personally notch out your tank, and put an external overflow on it. A single 1" bulkhead would be more than enough to handle all the flow you would put through a 16" cube, though personally I would stick two 1" bulkheads on there for safety reasons (in case one gets clogged with something).

-Rich

Okay i am going to build a external overflow, out of glass this weekend, how big should this be on a 16" back

i was thinking 8"X5"X10" (LxWXH) with 2 1" bulkheads

as for the closed loop, i am still reading on what that is :) and how to build it, that way i know where to drill the returns

as for notching the back, just use a glass cutter and go nuts or should i take it to my local glass shop and get them to cut it?

Mark