SW Predators

Madness

I have been pondering setting up a salt tank for a grouper/lionfish, been thinkin somewhere in the 90g range.

I can't seem to find much in the way of groupers that dont get over a foot... which would be a bit too large for a 90, so my first question is:

Are there any grouper species suitable in a 90g for their entire life?

I have read that groupers and lionfish can get along just fine, so long as they dont fit into each others big mouths. Is this true? Would this be possible in a 90g?

Last question... for now :)

Are there any species of grouper/lion (that will be good in a 90) that wont eat every invert in sight?

I would like to get a few types of crabs and shrimp as they are one of the main attractions to saltwater for me. I am not too worried about going with soft corals and most likely going to stay away from anemones altogether.

Any input/personal experience would be great, Thanks.

We had a Panther Grouper that was 8-10", he stopped growing from there. (was in a 90) Brings up the old theory that they will only grow to the space allowed-don't really know if this is true or not, as I have been told both opinions are true...better get used to that, if you are in Marine (unless you stick with the Vendors here-A.K.A. Gold Aquariums-awesome w/Marine info.)

I think it would be safe to put another into a 90 myself.

Rob B)

Forgot to mention this. I wouldn't plan on putting ANY shrimp in there! Crabs are pretty safe though IMO

Edited by Majestic_Aquariums

It is "true" that fish will grow to the size of the aquarium. This is mainly due to chemical compounds that fish normally secrete as a biofeedback mechanism. I forget the biochemical family group but it at certain concentrations, it triggers corticosteriod production which does hamper growth. Prolonged production will cause immuno depression and when the immune system is comprimised, well, it's not good.

I did an experiment years ago (10+?)and put a 4" panther grouper in a 50gal sump on a 200gal. It grew Last I heard is that it's in a 300gal that is on the same system with a 1000gal and about 3'.

JM2C

Wilson