peacock Bass cichlid

fish_geek

I have several monoculus and ocellaris right now (tems get much to large for me lol), they are very friendly and I must say at a young age if you hand feed them then you should be able to get them to eat many different things, mine eat food sticks, feeders, bloodworms... they are personable to, kind like oscars... what lfs was this and what did they look like and what size... did they have a singe horizontal line through their body or 3 vertical stripes/ spots...

They were at Big Al's when I was there two weeks ago. I can't remember the details as to there lines and stripes sorry. But they were labelled as Ocellaris.

At Big Als Edmonton? They had Temensis the other day. Cool as hell looking Tems.

do you happen to know what size they are approximately?
Originally posted by Boom

Aquagiant has a tank of them right now also.

--aquagiants cichla "mono's" are roughly 4-5 inches

--bigals cicha "temensis" are a little smaller

I keep 3 temensis females, 4 mono 3f/1m and a red eyed occelaris female ..

7f/1m in total, all ranging from 13-20 inches.

they occupy a 440 indoor pond, with a FULL 140 gallon sump..

I Change out 100-120 gallons every 5 days...

The only time I see slight agression is when the male is trying to pick a female to spawn..

my only 2 suggestions would be

1-- have a very large setup in place before purchasing any cichla

2- train them on pellets and do it at a very young age...

I only feed "trout pellets" ..25kg baf for 60 bucks... svaes me a fortune.

-------- CICHLA FOR LIFE-------------

I would definately pick up some tems if I had the fish real estate available, as it is I am gonna have to upgrade for my cichla in the future, my tank is 72x30x18. What I would really like is to be able to pick up some slower growing cichla like some kelberi or orinocensis, (or better yet and even more unattainable, intermedia), but I can't find any orino's around here and Kelberi's wouldve required some really high shipping and border charges and then the cost of the fish. Maybe one day I will be able to put up an indoor pond though, do you have any pictures of the cichla in it?

• 2 weeks later...