Salt water Water Changes

gordo

I have a 70 gallon with a 20 gallon sump saltwater setup. I am relatively new to saltwater and i was wondering how often should i perform a water change? It has about 70 lbs of live rock. It was originally setup before i bought it for 5 years. I wasn't able to keep all the water so i had to add all new water when i got home and it is currently cycling.

Your cycle shouldn't take too long if it was set up before. I've bought complete systems and not had problems with cycling at all - the LR is key.

I would do about a 25% WC every month, and use tap water to top up. I did battle algae, and was recommended that I switch to RO for top up. Might be a better way to go.

Your cycle shouldn't take too long if it was set up before. I've bought complete systems and not had problems with cycling at all - the LR is key.

I would do about a 25% WC every month, and use tap water to top up. I did battle algae, and was recommended that I switch to RO for top up. Might be a better way to go.

Yeah i am going to try and use RO water from now on. I used all tap water to fill it. I am still in the process of setting something up to age my water. I heard just sticking a powerhead and heater in a separate tank or container will be sufficient.

I heard just sticking a powerhead and heater in a separate tank or container will be sufficient.

Yep, that's about it. I used to use foodsafe rubbermaid containers to mix mine, now I use an old tank.