DIY CO2... questions...

Erin

GAAAAAH! That guy's on something. I couldn't even watch the video all the way through to determine if his incoherent ramblings had a point. It's just theoretical as far as I can tell, I don't think he's actually constructed anything...

He's talking about adding a line into the yeast mixture itself with an air stone to bubble and mix the mixture.

And I'm just not sure I can see how this can benefit anything. He talked about it being used to stop the alcohol from flowing through the tube into the tank, but that can be eliminated via the second bottle used in the example that Kayen (i think) posted somewhere.

From the parts I listen to, it sounded like the airstone was used to make the bacteria aerobic instead of anaerobic. Not sure how that would be better. Doesn't the yeast fermentation process work better if its anaerobic?

If anything that would make the process last a little longer and probably more stable, but without it being anaerobic I don't think you get CO2 from the process? lol

If anything that would make the process last a little longer and probably more stable, but without it being anaerobic I don't think you get CO2 from the process? lol

Yeast fermentation can proceed along two different pathways either aerobic or anaerobic and BOTH produce CO2. If oxygen is available,the yeast will use it and break down sugar to produce end products of CO2 and H2O. This is sometimes called the preferred pathway. Without oxygen, yeast will break down sugars to produce CO2 and ethanol; sometimes called the alternative pathway. The preferred pathway produces more energy for every sugar molecule used.

I believe that the point trying to be made on the Youtube video was that if you aerate your bottle of yeast/sugar/water mixture you will allow the yeast to use the preferred pathway thus producing more CO2. Also with water being the other end product of aerobic yeast fermentation instead of ethanol with the anaerobic pathway, it minimizes danger should any ethanol accidently find its way into your fish tank.

This is just my interpretation of the video, I have not tried this method at all.

I thought he was a little nutty but I also thought I would swing it by everyone here to see if maybe he wasn't crazy... so far it still seems like there is no need to do what he suggests.

Not at all, it'll save you on your electric bill to run a second bottle...

DIY CO2 with a hose running into a smaller bottle then a hose from the smaller bottle into the tank.

If I remember right, it was the alcohol (ethanol) that ended up killing off the yeast, thus ending the production of the CO2. The idea sounds like it would make the yeast mixture last longer, but it also sounds 3x more likely to make a huge mess :)