Where do you go to buy in Calgary and tank size?

WJC

Where are the best places to buy cichlids here in Calgary (or freshwater fish in general)? We're relatively new to Calgary and are still looking for the good spots to go.

We have a few tanks on the go but our main one at the moment is a nice mix of S/A cichlids. We have only been to the "petshops" so far because that's all we know about in the area but I haven't like the selections they have to offer. I'm not looking to spend too much on the fish or anything rare but I would love to find a place that has a good and healthy variety to choose from. Preferably around the north end but we are willing to travel to the right place.

We are also going to start a tank with African cichlids within the next couple of months and we would love to start right. Which brings me to my next question... I have had cichlids (African's to be specific) in the past and they did very well with a few in a smaller tank (25g) and they thrived for years with me until I had to move. We are shopping around for another larger tank like the one we have for our S/A cichlids (or larger, we currently have them in a 55gal) and wanted to know if we could start with a few young ones in the smaller tank and then move them and add more in time or should we just wait until we find our larger tank?

Last but not least, where is a good place to shop for supplies?

Edited by WJC

WJC, welcome to the forum.

You can look at fish stores in Calgary HERE.

I don't live in Calgary, and certainly haven't been to all the shops there, but I have been to Gold's and highly recommend them for African Cichlids. They have a wide variety and what they don't have they can order in for you.

As for your other questions, most africans will be fine for a while in a 55 gallon, some can stay permanently in that size tank. But if you want bigger, keep your eyes peeled on Kijiji and the Buy/sell equipment section on this forum. There is always good deals on larger tanks to be had. When you can, get the biggest tank that you can afford / have room for, you won't regret it.

Good luck.

Boom :boom:

For overall healthy fish, go to Gold's, they also carry ALOT of african cichlids. I rarely find their fish to be in bad shape, also good prices on equipment and other needs. Pisces has a larger variety of other fish, not too good though for african cichlids. And pisces no longer runs on a central filtration system, which keeps diseases contained if they do have problems. Big Al's is not too bad sometimes, you can sometimes find things there you can't find anywhere else. Riverfront is alright as well, sometimes their quality can be good sometimes not so good.

Golds is off 17th ave SE between 48th st and 50th st beside the Giant Tiger store, but very close to the NE end of the city. Big Als is off 32nd ave and 19th st NE, Riverfront is on riverfront ave downtown, and pisces is on 4th st just off of mcknight blvd.

Another store I have bought fish from in the past is Imperial aquarium off 36 st NE across from Canadian tire, and there is also Franco's aquariums on 32nd ave and 19th street across the street from Big Al's.

I would buy no smaller than a 55 gallon for most african cichlids, depending on what kind of africans you are talking about. Many tanganyikans will do fine in smaller, but for malawi I definitely recommend at least a 55.

Preferably around the north end but we are willing to travel to the right place.

Last but not least, where is a good place to shop for supplies?

I shop around at almost all of the petstores/aquarium stores here in Calgary weekly...just to see what's new and what the prices are of potential fish for my tanks...I agree that Gold's is one of the best places, Dennis (the owner) will not steer you wrong (at least in my experience) and he also sells his supplies for a lot less than almost all of the other stores.

But most of my fish come from people who I now know are on this forum and from www.kijiji.ca

You get a way better deal and more often than not the fish aren't stressed or diseased.

(http://www.piscespets.com/Specials.html will show you any/all specials for plants/fish/supplies they have on a weekly and monthly basis.)

Happy hunting!

I must agree Gold Aquariums is the best store hands down in my opinion. I've been dealing with them for 15 years now and have never been as happy with any where else as i am with them. He will hold fish in quarantine for weeks to make sure they are healthy before selling them. He always makes sure the fish are healthy and well looked after. Dennis albeit a little quirky at times really knows his fish and prices them at prices no one else can beat. Good luck with your hunting. ! still do a tour of other stores once and a while to find a oddity or two but it nice to have a fish guy to fall back on...lol

I must agree Gold Aquariums is the best store hands down in my opinion. I've been dealing with them for 15 years now and have never been as happy with any where else as i am with them. He will hold fish in quarantine for weeks to make sure they are healthy before selling them. He always makes sure the fish are healthy and well looked after. Dennis albeit a little quirky at times really knows his fish and prices them at prices no one else can beat. Good luck with your hunting. ! still do a tour of other stores once and a while to find a oddity or two but it nice to have a fish guy to fall back on...lol

Yeah Dennis definitely has a personality some people don't like right off the bat, but when you become a regular you kinda get used to it :smokey: Does anyone know if Shawn still works there (you know, the scrawny white guy with glasses lol)? He was supposed to sell me some of his ferts but I haven't seen him around in the last month. All the staff are really great there, and at least you usually get service right away or pretty quickly. Was just at BA's last weekend, I stood in line just to get some plants for about 20 min. And at least at Golds most of them actually know their stuff, unlike some stores.

There is also elite aquatics, I think they are in the SW? I have heard they are good too though I have never been there myself.

Might want to check out Wai's Aquarium, 4-222 16 Avenue NE. I have actually only been there once when I was very young and haven't had the chance to go back lately.

I have been to most of the locally owned stores around Calgary and for the most part they are all alright. I really like Franco's and Golds (as do most other members by the looks of it :lol: ) I went to Big Al's once and honestly, wasn't too impressed. They didn't stock much and the fish didn't look like they where in great condition, but maybe things have changed since then.

Edited by DiscusLova

• 2 weeks later...

Wai's carries fw fish? I heard they only carried sw.....I could be wrong though since I have never been there. There is also Elite aquatics, but they are in the south somewhere. I never realised this before, but we have all the good LFS's at this end of the city :thumbs:

I agree that BA's doesn't always have the greatest looking stock. Their discus look very sad, thin and stunted. I feel like telling them they need to be taking better care of them if they want to have any chance of selling them, especially when they have competition from other stores that do sell beautiful discus. They have alot of disease in their tanks, but that's what happens when everything is run on a central filtration system.