Cichlids

Wingin' It

Soooo...I've read a lot in here and everywhere that you should stick to keeping cichlids within their own lakes...I really really like my peacock cichlids (Blue and Ruby red albinos) and I really really like my leleupi's and brichardi's...but these two are obviously from different lakes. The Peacocks are fairly non agressive and the tanganikans are still 2 inches and under...do you guys/gals think this arrangement will be ok when everyone is grown or will I need to get another tank? Thanks!

Uh... what size is the tank?

I have lakes mixed. In fact right now in my 55 I have representatives from lake Malawi, Tanganyika, and Victoria.

It's not perfect but it works better than alot of other peoples set-ups, so I think you should be fine as long as the tank is big enough.

Be aware tho that if you have males and females, your brichardi's can get quite aggressive when they breed.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

Uh... what size is the tank?

I have lakes mixed. In fact right now in my 55 I have representatives from lake Malawi, Tanganyika, and Victoria.

It's not perfect but it works better than alot of other peoples set-ups, so I think you should be fine as long as the tank is big enough.

Be aware tho that if you have males and females, your brichardi's can get quite aggressive when they breed.

Boom :boom:

The tank is a 45 Gallon (long), and thanks! I foresee a larger tank in the future now...haha.

Harold even has mixed lakes, and so do I. I think it works to some degree depending on the fish you do keep and how big the tank is. Peacocks and haps tend to stick more in the middle to top section of a tank, lelupi and brichardi they like to stick near the bottom. I would provide the tangs with alot of caves and rock formations all along the bottom of the tank.

Did you know that with brichardi in the wild, they hang out in schools? They usually pair off to mate, and typically keep that mate for the rest of their lives. Once they claim a spot in the rocks that is their cave and they can always find it. All the brichardis that don't have mates have a very important job being the look out fish, they watch for predators. Guess I would hate to be one of the single's lol, you would be the first to get eaten. The single brichardi's are able to hide in any of the caves the pairs have claimed when predators are near, but they don't have an actual claimed territory. Yes I have been doing a bit of reading from Ad Konings book on tangs lol. Be careful though, if you happen to have 2 males, the dom male will kill the sub dom. I used to have 3, but my dom killed the sub dom and I am left with a pair :)