10 gal planted tank

Bullterrier

Hi

I initially signed up for the forum in Aug 08. I have finally been able to start setting up my 10 gal tank. Spring 08 I ended up moving furniture here from my Dad's in Ontario and had to get rid of my 45 gal reef tank to make room. I have been in withdrawls ever since. I do have a 10 gal and 33 gal FW at work btw.

I had a beautiful 20 gal tall starfire glass aquarium built in Sep 08 by concept aquariums, but decided on a holiday etc..so i put off getting it up and running until now. Looking around my house I couldn't find a good location ( I do have 6 cats and 2 dogs, Bull terriers) where I could see it a lot or have access to a sink etc.. or away from windows. :(

In the end I have opted to go with just a 10 gal in my mainfloor 1/2 bathroom. I get a good view of it. I set it up on the weekend. I had a very hard time finding lighting for a 10gal. I ended up with a Nova 18" T5 fixture. The 18 in only comes in a SW version :( I needed to switch out the actinic bulb and put in a 2nd 10k, no 67 K avail in that size. The other option was a coralife with a quad bulb and about 96 watts!! Too much light, or a regular plastic hood with PC bulbs, of which they were out of stock (Big al's). Has anyone else had issues finding lighting to fit a 10 gal?

The aquarium is cycling now. I have a bag of flourite, giving me easily 2-3 inches of substrate. heater and hang-on filter right now. Oh and one piece of wood (soaking on its own)and a small rock. For CO2 I plan to just use the flourish Excel. I plan to head back to Nature's Corner on Sat. Henry says he should have new shipment of plants and fish.

I am new to plants, like the SW I find the latin names a bleep to remember. I like the common names.

I'd like to get some grasses for the front , moss for the wood and some larger plants for the back, nothing too tall as the tank is small.

A small school of little fish (not sure what kind yet, depends what is avail) a betta and a couple of cory's for fish to round things out.

I had a hard time finding a light for my 5.5G tank. I ended up buying a 18w mini coralife fixture but the only problem is you can't attach legs. :huh: I think they are used for refugiums. How many watts is your light fixture? I'm a SW person myself(about 1 year) so most of this is also new to me. I'll watch this journal and perhaps I'll learn something.

Hi

I initially signed up for the forum in Aug 08. I have finally been able to start setting up my 10 gal tank. Spring 08 I ended up moving furniture here from my Dad's in Ontario and had to get rid of my 45 gal reef tank to make room. I have been in withdrawls ever since. I do have a 10 gal and 33 gal FW at work btw.

I had a beautiful 20 gal tall starfire glass aquarium built in Sep 08 by concept aquariums, but decided on a holiday etc..so i put off getting it up and running until now. Looking around my house I couldn't find a good location ( I do have 6 cats and 2 dogs, Bull terriers) where I could see it a lot or have access to a sink etc.. or away from windows. :(

In the end I have opted to go with just a 10 gal in my mainfloor 1/2 bathroom. I get a good view of it. I set it up on the weekend. I had a very hard time finding lighting for a 10gal. I ended up with a Nova 18" T5 fixture. The 18 in only comes in a SW version :( I needed to switch out the actinic bulb and put in a 2nd 10k, no 67 K avail in that size. The other option was a coralife with a quad bulb and about 96 watts!! Too much light, or a regular plastic hood with PC bulbs, of which they were out of stock (Big al's). Has anyone else had issues finding lighting to fit a 10 gal?

The aquarium is cycling now. I have a bag of flourite, giving me easily 2-3 inches of substrate. heater and hang-on filter right now. Oh and one piece of wood (soaking on its own)and a small rock. For CO2 I plan to just use the flourish Excel. I plan to head back to Nature's Corner on Sat. Henry says he should have new shipment of plants and fish.

I am new to plants, like the SW I find the latin names a bleep to remember. I like the common names.

I'd like to get some grasses for the front , moss for the wood and some larger plants for the back, nothing too tall as the tank is small.

A small school of little fish (not sure what kind yet, depends what is avail) a betta and a couple of cory's for fish to round things out.

I'm doing the same, with my 10 gallon. I was going to put in some shrimp, but decided that those will wait for awhile. I haven't found any lighting yet, but I really have to get on that fast before my plants arrive! Good luck with yours!

Hi

I'm doing the same, with my 10 gallon. I was going to put in some shrimp, but decided that those will wait for awhile. I haven't found any lighting yet, but I really have to get on that fast before my plants arrive! Good luck with yours!

Edited by Wingin' It