My 90g Tank Journal(updated again)

Tarolisol

Well ive decided to set up a 90g planted tank and thought It would be nice to have you all follow along.

Ive been doing Salt water reefs for years and have only had small FW tanks, Things have switched now and although 90g isnt huge im sure its only the beggining.

Heres the start.

90G tank

Fluval FX5

Coralife 4x65w fixture

I am waiting to find a CO2 setup(pressurized) but for now am using florish exel.

Substrate is Aqual Soil with target sand on top.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Plants are Hygrophila polysperma(I think), Limnophila sessiliflora(I think), Hemianthus callitrichoides. For Now

Edited by Tarolisol

can't wait to see how it turns out. How did the sand soil combo work for you? I'm thinking of doing that for my 50 gallon, when I get it, which is soon, a few months.... sigh... anyway how is that going? What are you planning on putting in there for wood/rocks? Fish?

can't wait to see how it turns out. How did the sand soil combo work for you? I'm thinking of doing that for my 50 gallon, when I get it, which is soon, a few months.... sigh... anyway how is that going? What are you planning on putting in there for wood/rocks? Fish?

So far the sand and soil are working well but im sure it will mix together eventually, at least they are the same colour. Wood and rocks will be put in today or tomorrow. Not sure on fish yet, probably a school or cardinal tetra, rainbows, and some rams.

It might help to feed the CO2 into the bottom of the Elite filter so the bubbles are smashed up by the impeller. To get a real fine mist, use a ceramic? bubbler like shown. Low or fluctuating CO2 levels will bring on algae.

Be careful using any ceramic bubbler-diffusor with the DIY bottles as it might increase the back pressure in your bottles leading to a big mess... :boom:

gallery_2943_239_51853.jpg

Bad photo, but you can see the CO2 line going in the bottom screen. I had to cut a small piece of the grate away to get the line through.

gallery_2943_239_125.jpg

Looks good. I find that the HC is always the plant to get hit the hardest by algae. Mine also has bad thread algae growing in it, I had to remove most of it manually but wasn't able to get it all because it is so delicate.

Well the hair algae is dieing off and i figure the other algae was due to the fact my filter was clogged a bit and the water output was very minimal.