stingray sand?

rED O

I want to get two motoro stingrays. My first question is my tank is going to have a foot print of 88x38. that should be enough for 2 motoros for life right? second question is what is the best kind of sand for them? What is the best for them?

thanks

I want to get two motoro stingrays. My first question is my tank is going to have a foot print of 88x38. that should be enough for 2 motoros for life right? second question is what is the best kind of sand for them? What is the best for them?

thanks

first question..... great foot print

second question,.. you would want to go to the amazon river basin or maybe somehwere along the orinocco river and grab a bunch...but if you cant make the trip, try a soft silica sand...

thanks

You will most likely find it at your LFS. That sounds like an awsome tank. :thumbs:

Edited by Kraken

Most people who've had motoro's for years recommend 48" wide for life. But with that being said, I think 38" would last most motoro's at least 5 years, possibly longer. They can have huge growth spurts and grow from a 4" disc to a 12" disc (and then 24" long) in a year and slow considerably after that.

I use silica sand for my ray tanks (and all tanks for that matter), and I get frac sand from a local oilfield supply company for free. The sand doesn't need to be as fine as possible - I have some that's comparable to sugar and I think it's almost too fine and prefer a bit larger. When a ray buries itself or swims up the sides of the tank towards the surface there's a lot of force of water under it's disc, and if the sand is too fine it really blows everywhere and will get in everything (ie. powerheads used for extra circulation).