free standing pond idea.

Erin

Over this past christmas, my husband and I got our daughter a goldfish. After she climbed her dresser, had the dresser fall and the tank broke the goldfish become mine in the basement. Now that one goldfish has 5 comet goldfish friends. all in a ten gallon, and since my husband is not going to let me get a 60 plus gallon tank for "some dumb goldfish" and we rent so building a pond in the ground just isn't allowed, I have come up with a lovely idea.

My first idea was to buy some pond liner and build a big box that would hold about 50ish gallons of water. After thinking it threw I realized that It might not work. I thought about the wood flyin in all directions from the weight of the water, more of a nightmare really then a thought.

So keeping with the idea and beauty I had in my head I started looking around for a better option. and I think I found it! I think what I will do if there is not other suggestions would be to buy a HUGE tote bin. They don't leak, and I can find them in pretty big sizes. then keeping with the wood and beauty I would then build a box around it with an inward lip so you don't see the tote bin at all!

My problem is what should I do for a filtration? I could build the box with a over flow exit, which I will cause I'd be dumb not to. But I could also build it big enought to hid a HOB filter??? I plan on many plants, lilies and cat tail like plants mostly. BUT what if I only put one of those fluval under water filters? would I need something to add air?

Also when should I start thinking about putting my fish out??? I'm new to this. I should have it built by next mid next month.

Edited by Erin

Check out the stock tanks at farm supply places e.g. Peavey Mart, UFA Co-op. They have Rubbermaid stock tanks from 40 gal (maybe less) and up. They are very sturdy, meant to hold water, and reasonably priced.

Those huge farm animal stock water containers are sturdy and not too badly priced, kind of like these ones - http://www.fencing-farm-ranch.com/stocktanks1.html. Most UFA or other places for farmers carry them.

As for a filter, you could get a pond skimmer/filter.

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/ponds-and-s.../p17078014.html - this place also generally ships for free if you spend over $200.

Those large tanks are nice, too. The tanks I was referring to are pictured here:

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2005/08/rubbermaid_300_.html

Looking them up on Google, I found 70 gal., 100, 150, & 300 gal. sizes. I have an old 40 gal. and previously used a 150 gal in the house.

I also suggest a stock tank. Keeping in mind that comet goldfish, and other single caudal fin varieties, need roughly 20 gallons per fish you should go for a 100 gallon stock tank at least. (Comet goldfish can and most likely will get over 10 inches long, and are very active fish).

I'm afraid I cannot help too much with your filter question, as I don't have a pond (sadly). But from what I've heard I would suggest a large HOB or canister filter, as opposed to an underwater filter. You could also add a bubbler or waterfall/fountain if you like, which could help with oxygenating (O_o Sounds like I just made that word up) the water.

Best of luck with your pond!

post-1518-1236548433_thumb.jpgpost-1518-1236548519_thumb.jpg

These are two of my three outdoor 'ponds' as they were first set up three years ago. The blue one is a 500G stock tank and the white one is a salvaged 600G water storage tank cut open. The filters are rubbermaid storage totes plumbed in with bulkeads from princess auto and powered by Pentair Rainbow Lifeguard Quiet One 1200 pumps and they have 2"dia. foot valves as intake guards.. The filters had lava rock, filter sponge and live plants in them. I set up the oulet to splash on the intake so as to increase the oxygen exchange at the surface. It also makes for a pleasant sound in the garden. Even my neighbours enjoyed hearing it.

These are two of my three outdoor 'ponds' as they were first set up three years ago. The blue one is a 500G stock tank and the white one is a salvaged 600G water storage tank cut open. The filters are rubbermaid storage totes plumbed in with bulkeads from princess auto and powered by Pentair Rainbow Lifeguard Quiet One 1200 pumps and they have 2"dia. foot valves as intake guards.. The filters had lava rock, filter sponge and live plants in them. I set up the oulet to splash on the intake so as to increase the oxygen exchange at the surface. It also makes for a pleasant sound in the garden. Even my neighbours enjoyed hearing it.

How do you overwinter those ponds?

How do you overwinter those ponds?

The tanks have drain plugs on the bottom edge. Every fall I pull the plug and keep the dozy fish away from the outlet while the water level drops. That's the only easy way to catch them.

Some of the larger fish (1 koi, 2 12" goldfish) go to a large tank in my gf's classroom and the smaller fish go into two 120G poly troughs that are kept in the basement. It's pitch black and only around 5-10c down there so it's just like them being under ice in the winter. I run an aerator and give them WCs but I don't feed them much.

So I looked on kijiji for a stock tank and found this.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessori...QAdIdZ112065105

I offered 50 for it she said that IF its not sold by the 20th I'll get it. which works for me cause on the 20th I'll have over 600 to play with :D so heres hoping!!!! If I get it imagine it in a stained and weaather treated varnish wood box :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have had ponds both here in saskatchewan and windsor, ontario and have used everything from little paddling pools to large in ground ponds and have never used any chemicals or filters. Add the water to your feature and let it sit still for a few days, it will start to look green like pea soup this is fine, after a few more days the water will clear right up and will be fine, then you will be able to add your fountain pump and fish if you so wish. If you have some floating plants to block out some of the sun aswell to provide shelter for your fish they should be just fine. If you dont have running water you will need fish, if you have running water you dont need fish. All I have done is clean the algae off the sides of my features every month or so and it has been a self-sustaining ecosystem. Once you get the hang of it it is one of the most rewarding and simple projects you can do, since you dont have to clean and add the chemicals that an aquarium requires.

Oh ya with the sun and plants combined in your water feature you will not need a bubbler, expecially with a nice fountain pump.

Edited by Brian G

Those large tanks are nice, too. The tanks I was referring to are pictured here:

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2005/08/rubbermaid_300_.html

Looking them up on Google, I found 70 gal., 100, 150, & 300 gal. sizes. I have an old 40 gal. and previously used a 150 gal in the house.

im using that tank now... it works great!!