Tropheus...?

Exodus99

:thumbs: WELCOME BACK!!!

UPDATE: I have actually shifted gears once again and purchased a 180 gallon acryllic setup. Will have it up and running by the middle of may and have aquired a lovely group of Tropheus sp. black Kiriza! I will be posting pictures soon. Once the 180 is up and running i will have a colony of around 50 little guys which i will eventually thin out to around 40 or so!

This is really exciting...everyone of them is doing great!

What are some possible tank mates?

What is the average adult size for these fish....and what is the recommended tank size?

What species were you thinking of getting? I wouldn't go any less than a 90 for a colony of one species, I know some people who have 150's and larger that have a couple tropheus species. All I feed my tropheus are NLS 1mm pellets and some tropheus flakes that came from Kens fish www.kensfish.com. I have had my 2 tropheus duboisi for over a year in a 90 gallon with my lake malawi cichlids, I know it's not recommended but at the time I did it I didn't know, and they are thriving.

The average adult size of most species of tropheus is 4-5 inches. As far as tank size, the bigger the better.

While I know a breeder who has had success in keeping & breeding adults in 24" cubes, typically the longer the tank, the better, especially with some of the more aggressive species. The reason for that is explained below by an exporter on Lake Tanganyika, Mark Young.

It was my theory that trophs need long tanks to be able to swim away from an aggressor when an attack comes. I had noticed in the wild (after many dives) that Trophs only seem to chase for about 3 meters or so then give up the chase. So i built tanks 4 meters long. (4000 litres) Its only my theory but so far it has been right. I keep 300 trophs and around 150 O.Ventralis to a tank. Never an issue or problem of any type.

Personally I think that a 6ft 125 gallon tank (or larger) with a good size colony of trophs (in a single species tank) is the ideal set up. With proper filtration, large frequent water changes, and a sound diet you should have no problems.