Anyone have/had these?

stribbelldk

I wasn't sure if this post should go here or with the cichlid section but.....

Has anyone ever had the Synodontis njassae?

I am just trying to get some info on these guys. So far I know they get up to about 7 -8 Inches, They are one of Lake Malawis only cat fish,They are known as the Malawi Squeeker.

And not a whole heck of a lot more.

I have wanted this fish for a long time but was told they would cost about $90 each! So I was glad to see them at $25 in the group orders.

I just wanted a bit more onfo on them.

Thanks,

Derek

What kind of info are you looking for? They're a syno, so do best in groups of 6+, and due to their large size I wouldn't recommend them for anything under 4'x18", preferrably 6'x18" footprint.

They are a very cool catfish that almost no one has, because the exporters'divers don't catch them themselves. When someone wants them, the exporter puts word out to the locals that they're in need of some and the locals use traps/bait to catch them and will show up on the doorstep with a bucket full of cats. Kind of weird, but it works. They also haven't been bred in captivity (to the best of my knowledge, at least not when I was over there), which makes them a little more difficult to obtain.

Just to add one more thing...I do not want to be the voice of doom and it is most likely these ones are the real thing but this is one of the species that hybrids are regularly passed off as...mostly unknowingly by suppliers.

So just a word of warning to be sure of what you are getting.(I would ask for pictures)

Birger

Edited by birger

Thanks African for the info. I was getting my info from the net and most sites were saying 7-8" but I did find 2 or 3 site say 11-12 inches. No where do they recomenda tank size. I have a 48x18 but not sure if I want a foot long cat in there, nevermind 6 of them.

Birger, thanks for the tip. I was thinking of going through a supplier but it seemed to good to be true. Like I was saying, I was told they were $80-$100 at one place then I see them for $25!! May be a reason for that.

Derek