need opinions

Dongross

I would like opinions regarding a situation

About a year ago I bought 4 groups of fish as fry . 3 groups of tropheus and 1 group of cyps. I imported them from the USA and paid a pretty penny but that part may be irrelevant

All the fish were sold as f1

All the fish grew fine and are healthy--Out of 90 fish I think I lost one

2 of the groups have nice color

2 of the groups have such poor color that I will probably have to cull them or give them away . I certainly would never breed them

I contacted the Vendor and he blew me off and suggested a color food. I feed mostly NLS .

The interesting issue is that most vendors will stand behind live delivery but end result is never mentioned

I had this happen once before when I was breeding discus and the vendor replaced them all with no questions asked

What should we expect

I do not intend to reveal who the vendor was--I am not interested in slamming him but am more interested in hearing peoples opinions

Don Gross

I would think that it would be in the vendors best interests to at least attempt to work something out. Having poor colour in 1/2 of the groups after that length of time, when fed on a high quality food would lead me to guess on the actual lineage of the fish, or the breeding practices of the breeder.

I know if it was myself selling the fish and they turned out poorly, I would try everything I could to rectify the situation; ie. if I was still breeding the same fish I would send replacements, if not I would attempt to find some customers who had good success with the same fry and see if there was anything done differently, or even attempt to find replacements for the fish.

Nothing is worse with cichlids than waiting a year for them to mature and their colour to develop, only to realize that you have 'duds'.

IMO

If quality wasn't guaranteed in writing at the time of purchase then you are agreeing to take what is available.

"you pays yer money and you takes yer chances"

At least you got 50% nice color.

I am sorry it didn't turn out better for you.

Sometimes that just happens with the stocks. Did you ask for specific species or anything? I've had this happen before, but it was because I didn't specify the "stock" I wanted. I wouldn't do business with this person again, and I'd try and find other people who ordered from the same person to see what there fish now look like.

I would think that it would be in the vendors best interests to at least attempt to work something out. Having poor colour in 1/2 of the groups after that length of time, when fed on a high quality food would lead me to guess on the actual lineage of the fish, or the breeding practices of the breeder.

ditto

Having seen all of your previous breeding colonies of tropheus, which were generally all very high quality specimens, I find it highly doubtful that what you were sold were actual F1's. That, or the WC breeders were less than ideal specimens & should have never been used as breeding stock to begin with. Reminds me of the 'vented' group of Ilangi that you purchased a few years back. Another vendor that deserves a good public flogging .....

A prime example of why I typically refuse to buy fish sight unseen.

With regards to guarantees - IMO when one is paying for first generation offspring from WC African Cichlids, there is a certain implied expectation of receiving quality fish. A few duds within a 'group' of F1 fish is always a possibility, but an entire colony of fish that result in being genetic duds is simply unacceptable.

Sorry to hear about the crappy deal, Don.

Edited by RD.