Flowerhorn Eggs!

Burger&Kodman

these are the parents.. when i got them from the guy i didn't think they were Flowerhorns but he assured me they were.. the female's been ok she's the bigger one in the pictures.. they laid quite a few eggs.. does anyone know if i should just leave them where the parents have them or should i seperate them into a holder?

post-4006-1238293653_thumb.jpg

post-4006-1238293907_thumb.jpg

Nice job, Let me guess first batch, About 300 to 500 eggs.

IME breeding FH it would be a good idea to put a divider between the male & female unless you want one of them killed by the other. My male would constantly knock down the divider and beat the living crap out of the female. Almost killed her on one occasion. He was also famous for smashing through a 1/4 glass top and pulling the family cat into the tank. You can leave the eggs on the females side of the tank, But use an eggcrate divider so the male can also take part in caring for the fry. The eggs should hatch in 3 to 5 days, If you decide to keep & raise the fry, remove most of them to another tank after about 6 days free swimming and be sure to leave about a dozen in with the parents to avoid stressing them out. If you don't want to raise the fry just leave them in the tank and within a week or two they will be gone (snacks).

wow thanks.. we're still pretty new to everything so that'll help a lot.. for the moment they seem to be ok, he's still fertilizing the eggs and isn't paying much attention to her but i'll be sure to keep a close eye on them for the next day as to when they'll need to be separated.

these are the parents.. when i got them from the guy i didn't think they were Flowerhorns but he assured me they were.. the female's been ok she's the bigger one in the pictures.. they laid quite a few eggs.. does anyone know if i should just leave them where the parents have them or should i seperate them into a holder?

After a closer look at the pics, They don't look like FH at all. How long have they been in the same tank?

If they are in fact FH I would guess after about a week in the tank together one of them would be dead by now, Most likely the female regaurdless of size. I had to keep my pair separated from day one. To breed them I placed a piece of slate under the divider 1/2 on the males side & 1/2 on the females side. I then placed a small fountain pump on the male side with the flow toward the females end of the tank.

Hey GF ! Congrats on the breeding . It does look like a midas for the dad anyway but they'll still be very defensive of their little ones . I don't think he's continuing to fertilize the eggs what they'll both do is fan them . This helps keep the eggs healthy and a fungus free. Unless you see any bad fighting in the tank leave it be . Cichlids are known to be excellent parents. Once the eggs hatch the fry will be wigglers and just lie around in a puddle and after a few more days they'll look like a mosquito cloud swimming around . Watch the parents body signals it's so cool . There will be intermittent twitching ect. If you need to reach in and clean the tank LOOK OUT! You will get bit. Their bite is like a lightning fast sideways rip. Blood is likely to be drawn. After the fry are a bit grown you'll probably see them lay more eggs. They may continue to care for the first fry or ignore them and eventually chase them off to care for the new brood. This may only be a month away lol.

oh ok cool.. yeah she been the most aggressive so far, that's how i noticed the eggs was when i was going to feed them she came right up to the top about an inch from the surface and if i move even an inch she's right there following me.. it's quite funny though because we have a tetra tank right next too them and on the side facing them she's built up a wall with the rocks almost to the top now as if to shut out the other tank

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...

However

There was a speaker at one of the ACE meetings a year or so awhile back if I remember corretly mentioned that it wasnt worth while to breed flowerhorns because they have been gentically altered in some fashion.... so the fry become deformed...

Maybe i am wrong but that is what I recall... that is why the fish are so expensive...

Hopefully i am wrong and it was another Hybrid with a simular name...