Help ASAP with NitrIte spike, please.

Boom

You might want to tell them they might want to invest in an automatic feeder so that there is only 1 thing feeding the fish from now on. I have had clients that have lost fish due to the over feeding of them, essentially we had to either install and automatic feeder or put a scoop with a feeding line to show how much to feed them as well as demanding that they have only 1 person to feed the fish.

The best way I have been able to detoxify nitrItes is with a smaller 25-40% water change and using salts. I don't think that filter quitting necessarily had much to do with the spike, as I have removed a whole filter from tanks before without getting a huge spike. I think it was mostly from the overfeeding and the filter quitting just made it worse.

I've made the suggestion about the auto feeder. And I completely agree that the filter quiting was a contributing factor, but not the main cause of the nitrite spike.

Hopefully everyone here smartens up and the other tank does well. I put an aweful lot of work into them over the past year and a bit.

Boom :boom:

When I'm away I need to count on hubby to feed my guys . I bought weekly pill holders at Dollarama and put the food in myself . All he has to do is open the pillbox with that day on it (thursday etc) and dump it in . It's worked very well. The worst that's happened is he may forget a day here'n'there but that's minor.

Sorry to hear that the tank is being shut down. Good luck with the other tank. Me thinks it might be a good idea to introduce the new fishkeeper to this forum so if there are any problems in the future she has experts to turn to.

Good luck

One thing i notied recently on the bottle of Prime is that it states that the water MUST be at a certain temp before the 5times the amount of prime is safe. I'd double dose but not more then that next time. Also prior to adding the fish that is already in very poor condition back in the tank i'd do a few more small water changes throughout the day to get the levels back to normal. Add an airstone or four or better yet a bubble curtain.

When I'm away I need to count on hubby to feed my guys . I bought weekly pill holders at Dollarama and put the food in myself . All he has to do is open the pillbox with that day on it (thursday etc) and dump it in . It's worked very well. The worst that's happened is he may forget a day here'n'there but that's minor.

That's a really good idea and it'll prevent coworkers from overfeeding while still allowing them to enjoy feeding the fish on occasion. I think i will steal your idea if you don't mind.

Happy Easter

L