Bad Boy

seastar

I have a really nice half moon male that I have tried to spawn with 4 different females. But I must say he is such a brat. He is too agressive with the females, almost killing them. The females were more than ready. But he just seems to chase them around and attacks them. So I put in a female that was much larger than he is, but by the next day he had bitten off a lot of her fins. I have lots of hiding places for the females, and they hide and won't come out.

I do not know what to do with him. He builds a nice big nest and everything else seems just right.

some male bettas are just mean and are not suited for spawning. i had a really pretty tri colour veiltail that would kick the living crud out of any female i tried to breed him with, so i decided that procreation just wasn't in his fins, lol.

if you have the room i'd keep him as a 'pet' and not use him in your breeding ventures any longer. if you don't have the room you could re home him to somebody that does have room and would take care of him well.

Have you thought of trying counseling? Perhaps he left the bubblenest too early in life and is having issues.

Have you thought of trying counseling? Perhaps he left the bubblenest too early in life and is having issues.

"YES - THAT'S IT...COUNSELING" or maybe I need the Counseling. Maybe I am spending tooooo much time with my Bettas...No I don't think so.

LOL too funny therapy !!

Anyways, I know exactly what you mean about overly aggressive males. I have a beautiful Copper male Plakat, whom spawned with one of my females before a bit of damage to the girl but she was okay.

The next time I tried to spawn him with one of my girls, omg he was so aggressive, I thought maybe she wasn't ready. So, I tried him with another female, again but worse.

Needless to say these girls can put up with alot of damage, she was fine beat up but fine, I did not continue to breed her with him, removed her for her safety and left him alone.

I haven't tried to spawn him again, giving him a long vacation to think things through. I don't know if I will spawn him again, I have too many other great choices to go through.

I would give him a long vacation, and try again later on if you don't have another male to breed... maybe he will calm down, I have also read that leave him and her separated longer together then apparently the male becomes less aggressive, I didn't find that to be true but maybe there is truth to it dunno.

Good luck with future spawn attempts. :thumbs:

some male bettas are just mean and are not suited for spawning. i had a really pretty tri colour veiltail that would kick the living crud out of any female i tried to breed him with, so i decided that procreation just wasn't in his fins, lol.

if you have the room i'd keep him as a 'pet' and not use him in your breeding ventures any longer. if you don't have the room you could re home him to somebody that does have room and would take care of him well.

Thanks for the info. It is nice to know that some are just too mean.

I am going to retire him for now. I will always have room for him. He is one of my favorites. He is very friendly with humans. When someone goes near his tank he swims over and gets all wiggly, and wants to be fed. He is a young fish, perhaps I will wait a few months and let him mature, then give him another chance. But I will be OK with it if he does not change. He has quite the attitude problem. LOL

LOL too funny therapy !!

Anyways, I know exactly what you mean about overly aggressive males. I have a beautiful Copper male Plakat, whom spawned with one of my females before a bit of damage to the girl but she was okay.

The next time I tried to spawn him with one of my girls, omg he was so aggressive, I thought maybe she wasn't ready. So, I tried him with another female, again but worse.

Needless to say these girls can put up with alot of damage, she was fine beat up but fine, I did not continue to breed her with him, removed her for her safety and left him alone.

I haven't tried to spawn him again, giving him a long vacation to think things through. I don't know if I will spawn him again, I have too many other great choices to go through.

I would give him a long vacation, and try again later on if you don't have another male to breed... maybe he will calm down, I have also read that leave him and her separated longer together then apparently the male becomes less aggressive, I didn't find that to be true but maybe there is truth to it dunno.

Good luck with future spawn attempts. :thumbs:

That just might work - if I was to leave the female in the trap tank inside the spawn tank for a few days, he may tire himself out and not pick on her so much. He just seems to get so excited. I might even try him in my 10 gallon spawning tank - give him more room to tire himself out. I am using 5 gallon spawning tanks right now.

But for now I will give him a vacation. I have another beautiful blue/red crowntail male that I have not tried to breed yet. So I will use the spawning tank for him. Thanks so much for the info.

Hey, I've got another thought!! I've got giant plakat females who when full grown could kick his butt. Too bad they still have some growing to do!! Okay, I'm selfish and keeping them to myself. Owing to their rarity, I'll be breeding them and trying to get some more on the go.