Redirecting the outflow from an Aquaclear power filter

Oneiroid

I have an Aquaclear 50 that I would like to use to filter a 10g freshwater aquarium. It will give me the amount of flow that I am looking for, but the problem with the HOB filter is that the flow will be directed downwards, creating a large crater in the substrate below it.

The easy way around this would just be to put a small canister filter on the tank instead, and position the spray bar wherever I wanted... however, I already have an AC50, making the power filter a far cheaper option.

It strikes me that there should be an attachment of some sort that would fit under the outflow spout and allow you to vertically deflect the water coming out. If I could, at the very least, direct the flow towards the front of the tank, just under the surface, this should disperse the flow enough not to bother the substrate (like the popular plate trick).

I haven't seen anything commercially available that would do this, nor have I come across any DIY sources. Maybe I missed something obvious?

Any ideas on how I could securly mount some kind of flow deflector to (or under) the filter?

Edited by Oneiroid

Not very fancy but I taped(electrical tape) a piece of plastic(clear plastic paper stuff used for projectors) to the output of my AC filters. Works great for reducing the splashing noise and directing the flow along the surface instead of down where it can disrupt the sand.

Not very fancy but I taped(electrical tape) a piece of plastic(clear plastic paper stuff used for projectors) to the output of my AC filters. Works great for reducing the splashing noise and directing the flow along the surface instead of down where it can disrupt the sand.

Val, sounds like you're no stranger to this issue! I've got some similar materials around here that should give me the effect you described. It's a bonus that your mods reduce splashing as well... less splashing = more CO2 retention. How far out do your plastic pieces extend from the spout?

You could try and silicone a small piece of plexi on the bottom of the outflow.

I think I'll experiment with some less permanent options first, but this is a really good idea for a long term solution. Can you recommend where I might find some suitable plexi? Maybe a source for scrap?

Edited by Oneiroid

Val, sounds like you're no stranger to this issue! I've got some similar materials around here that should give me the effect you described. It's a bonus that your mods reduce splashing as well... less splashing = more CO2 retention. How far out do your plastic pieces extend from the spout?

I have a few tanks in my bedroom so I want the filters as quiet as possible as the splashing sound drives me crazy. I usually cut a piece as wide as the filter output and about 4-5" long. Enough that it reaches an inch or 2 into the water.

Sometimes if its still disturbing the sand, I'll bend the piece of plastic 90* so it shoots the water out across the surface more.

Works great, all my AC filters have this mod. On the bigger sizes(ac300&500) I use a thicker piece of plastic.

The electrical tape works great too. It doesn't come off under water and I like that its removable. I tried it once with silicone and it didn't work as well.

I have a few tanks in my bedroom so I want the filters as quiet as possible as the splashing sound drives me crazy. I usually cut a piece as wide as the filter output and about 4-5" long. Enough that it reaches an inch or 2 into the water.

Sometimes if its still disturbing the sand, I'll bend the piece of plastic 90* so it shoots the water out across the surface more.

Can you post a pic? :hey:

Is this a regular hang on the back type filter?

Yup. Aquaclear power filter.

How can you tell that the people that designed the aquaclear never kept fish, let alone use their own filters?

Anyway, Eheim Liberties (HOB) direct the water across the surface (that's what we get from the company that invented the canister filter). You can pick up a Liberty 200 at Pisces for about $18. Big Als they are $28.

How can you tell that the people that designed the aquaclear never kept fish, let alone use their own filters?

Anyway, Eheim Liberties (HOB) direct the water across the surface (that's what we get from the company that invented the canister filter). You can pick up a Liberty 200 at Pisces for about $18. Big Als they are $28.

Most hob filters including the AC direct the flow across the tank, where the noise comes from is when the water level drops below the discharge chute.

Most hob filters including the AC direct the flow across the tank, where the noise comes from is when the water level drops below the discharge chute.

I have an Aquaclear 50 that I would like to use to filter a 10g freshwater aquarium. It will give me the amount of flow that I am looking for, but the problem with the HOB filter is that the flow will be directed downwards, creating a large crater in the substrate below it.

Liberties have a lip that shoot the water across the surface, aquaclears don't and they shoot the water down into the tank.

Liberties have a lip that shoot the water across the surface, aquaclears don't and they shoot the water down into the tank.

That's odd because with the acception of my 2 AC 500s all of the other models that I own have a lip that diverts the water across the surface. I believe that the early models from the late 70's and early 80's did not have the lip.