Need help setting up a nano 10 gal reef tank

I was wondering how much it would cost to get all the equipment to set up a 10 gal nano reef tank. I also want some info on how to set it up.

Your biggest expense, as I found out today, is going to be for lighting...you need to decide what you want to put in your tank...low light corals? Sea Anemonies (which usually require more wpg)? For a 10 gallon light you can get one at Big Al's for around $65, you'll probably want to get a heater ($30-$60 depending on type), maybe a HOB filter ($15-$40). Then you still have to buy your Live Rock ($10/lb about 10-20lbs), substrate ($40-80) and salts/chemicals ($35ish), wait a few months, add your cleaner crew ($30), then wait some more, and then you can add 3-4 small fish.

I'm definately not an expert, but I have been looking into this with a friend, and we've discovered that it's quite expensive to start out, but the SW tanks are a joy to watch.

I was wondering how much it would cost to get all the equipment to set up a 10 gal nano reef tank. I also want some info on how to set it up.

Your biggest expense, as I found out today, is going to be for lighting...you need to decide what you want to put in your tank...low light corals? Sea Anemonies (which usually require more wpg)? For a 10 gallon light you can get one at Big Al's for around $65, you'll probably want to get a heater ($30-$60 depending on type), maybe a HOB filter ($15-$40). Then you still have to buy your Live Rock ($10/lb about 10-20lbs), substrate ($40-80) and salts/chemicals ($35ish), wait a few months, add your cleaner crew ($30), then wait some more, and then you can add 3-4 small fish.

I'm definately not an expert, but I have been looking into this with a friend, and we've discovered that it's quite expensive to start out, but the SW tanks are a joy to watch.

well I have a heater and I can get salt for $20 for a huge pale. I have about $120 to spent I'm sort on cash so I will look into finding deals. Well I want to have easy and common coral to start off what would be the watts of the light I would need I'm guessing around 20-45. But what type of gravel would I use? crushed coral?

Edited by Newbettabreeder

I wouldn't worry about the light right now as you should cycle the live rock first. If you are on a limited budget I suggest you get the salt, a powerhead or HOB for water movement, a hydrometer and as much live rock as you can get. Let that run for a few months while you save up for the other stuff.

well I have a heater and I can get salt for $20 for a huge pale. I have about $120 to spent I'm sort on cash so I will look into finding deals. Well I want to have easy and common coral to start off what would be the watts of the light I would need I'm guessing around 20-45. But what type of gravel would I use? crushed coral?

sand works best.

sand works best.

bare bottom tank w/ live rock is easier to keep clean.

My room mate managed to get a smokin' deal for his 10 gal set up...if you can find someone on kijiji or something trying to get rid of theirs it'd probably save you a bunch of moola. I forgot to mention before the power heads...we were told the more movement the better, so in my RMs 10 gallon he has 2 powerheads and a HOB filter (Filled with small bits of Live Rock) and for everything, he only paid $100. Shop, Shop, Shop!

That rock is good but you will still need some LR that is already seeded. Also with that type of rock you will have a longer cycle in your tank. If you have the patience you can find all your rock in Edmonton around $5/pnd searching the internet (kijiji, canreef, albertaaquatica...).

I have a Koralia Nano powerhead if your interested for $10. Good luck on your tank

Here is what mine looked like before I upgraded to a 95G.

Sept608-1.jpg

That rock is good but you will still need some LR that is already seeded. Also with that type of rock you will have a longer cycle in your tank. If you have the patience you can find all your rock in Edmonton around $5/pnd searching the internet (kijiji, canreef, albertaaquatica...).

The link he sent was for live rock.

Real nice price, but remember that's US dollars, and I'll bet the free shipping is only to the 48 continental states - you may wind up paying a mint for shipping and duty and brokerage fees. You probably would do better to hunt around locally like bignose said.

Edited by 2manytanks