Random questions

okay so I'm supposed to be studying for a huge bio test tomorrow but ended up staring at my tank for a little while and came up with a couple of questions.

1. Some of the plants in my tank (Cabomba) make a lot of mess because theres always little pieces floating here or there, or just stuck in the filter, are there any fishes or something that can solve that? eat it or something? I always notice that a lot of stores have some kind of barbs, normally rosy barbs in their plant section, when I asked why they said cuz they eat the rotting plants? is that true? I should get some if that's the case.

2. I'm interested in getting a bunch of live food for fries (molly fries), especially daphnia, infusoria, and microworms cuz they sound like a good and easy cultures to maintain but do I need a starter culture, how do I start one?

3. I'm looking for baby black mollies, close to around 20-25, I am not using them as food >.> I just really like them, if anyone has any that they'd like to give away please message me.

anyways back to studying >.> sorry for random questions

Cabomba does make a big mess, not sure though if barbs will eat the floating leaves though. I know barbs are great for eating certain types of algae though. How strong is the flow on your filter? It might be too strong for the cabomba, they seem to like slower moving water.

For live microworms http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20Food,%20Microworms.htm, daphnia http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/, and infusoria you can get from snails. Snails produce infusoria which the fry can eat, as far as I know certain snail species will produce more than others, apple snails I believe are a good one for it. Starter cultures are just small amounts, you can also usually find good sized cultures of these to buy as well. I can give you a starter culture for microworms, I just use regular oatmeal and put water in so it is moist. I then sprinkle some yeast on top then add a couple tbsp of micro worms, after about 5 days you should be able to start using it, once you see them starting to crawl up the sides. I keep mine in a warm slightly dark dry place.

Cabomba does make a big mess, not sure though if barbs will eat the floating leaves though. I know barbs are great for eating certain types of algae though. How strong is the flow on your filter? It might be too strong for the cabomba, they seem to like slower moving water.

For live microworms http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20Food,%20Microworms.htm, daphnia http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/, and infusoria you can get from snails. Snails produce infusoria which the fry can eat, as far as I know certain snail species will produce more than others, apple snails I believe are a good one for it. Starter cultures are just small amounts, you can also usually find good sized cultures of these to buy as well. I can give you a starter culture for microworms, I just use regular oatmeal and put water in so it is moist. I then sprinkle some yeast on top then add a couple tbsp of micro worms, after about 5 days you should be able to start using it, once you see them starting to crawl up the sides. I keep mine in a warm slightly dark dry place.

Thanks firestorm, those links helped a lot xD and thanks for the offer for the microworms, I'll be sure to message you when they are needed. I don't think the filter has anything to do with it because all my cabombas are away from the filter and its a penguin 125, anybody know anyfishes that will eat the floating leaves? trying to catch them with the net every day isn't really going to work with me for long

I don't think the filter has anything to do with it because all my cabombas are away from the filter and its a penguin 125, anybody know anyfishes that will eat the floating leaves? trying to catch them with the net every day isn't really going to work with me for long

I have a 45 Gallon long (with a Fluval 304) with plants in it and the fish are constantly picking at the leaves...then of course the leaves float to the top...I don't know of any fish that will eat the floating ones. I do know though, that mollies/platties/guppies/endlers etc. do tend to eat cabomba and it's supposed to be healthy for them...the excess might just be something that you'll have to live with? Not a great answer, but if you find something...be sure to let the rest of us know! ;)

I have a 45 Gallon long (with a Fluval 304) with plants in it and the fish are constantly picking at the leaves...then of course the leaves float to the top...I don't know of any fish that will eat the floating ones. I do know though, that mollies/platties/guppies/endlers etc. do tend to eat cabomba and it's supposed to be healthy for them...the excess might just be something that you'll have to live with? Not a great answer, but if you find something...be sure to let the rest of us know! ;)

yeah, I've noticed my cherry barbs and mollies both picking at cabomba, they seem to be enjoying the plants a lot, and only some of the plants that break off get stuck to the filter, theres always some just drifting around and I normally scoop em out as soon as I notice them. so far no one knows of any fish that eats the plants that break away, but thanks lol.

My rotala indica does the same thing, I always find the leaves floating on the surface. All I do is pick them out, or I often leave them and eventually they either settle and I suck them up during a wc or they eventually get sucked into the filter.