welcome to spring-beware the water

Guppygirl

Actually what I said was .......
But the reality is that for most hobbyists IF they are maintaining more than just a few smaller tanks, they need to use some form of water conditioner, no matter how well or long their tanks have been established.

Henry - while I have great respect for Dr. Erik Johnson I disagree with the following comment;

The remaining Ammonia should be no match for a cycled (properly functioning, well colonized) filtration system."
In an aquarium setting, by not binding/neutralizing the free ammonia (via Prime etc) the fish are exposed to ammonia for at least a few hours (in many cases much longer, depending on ones filtration system) which is never a good thing. Even in small doses, repeated exposure to free ammonia is very harmful to fish. Of course this only applies to tap water that is treated with chloramine.

I agree with your disagreement :pff:

I think that was why he said " should be no match for a cycled (properly functioning, well colonized) filtration system."

When I attended one of his classes I did ask him the same thing about the ammonia. His answer was something like that the amount of water compared to the fish load is different than an aquarium and the filtration system. As you said Neil. A small dose of ammonia in an aquarium may be a problem. Small doses of ammonia in a properly built ecosystem pond, I have never been able to find any traces of ammonia. Even while adding water. Smaller ponds without proper or adequate filtration or no signs of a balanced ecosystem I have tested and found ammonia and also nitrites.

BALANCE.....ahhhhh yes.........balance......

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha! Anyone else have a flashback to the days when "old water" was to be preserved at all costs? Not that I'm old enough to remember that... :blush:

I'm also a water ager- by necessity. My fish water comes out ice cold since anything hot comes via the water softener. So the water sits around to heat up anyways. I do have a bottle of Prime around though too.

Anyone else have a flashback to the days when "old water" was to be preserved at all costs? Not that I'm old enough to remember that... :blush:

I'm also a water ager- by necessity. My fish water comes out ice cold since anything hot comes via the water softener. So the water sits around to heat up anyways. I do have a bottle of Prime around though too.

My Dad had several salt water tanks in the '70s '80s (and used to drive for hours for fish) and when I told him I was getting a tank he asked about my under gravel filter setup and started to give me a lecture on old water. As his son I listen respectfuly then was apropreatly cruel while describing my canisters and the progress of technology in general, but I was careful to say it was out of style and people still use UGFs. I laugh that most of his stories describing aquiring fish sound like drug deals, waiting in deserted parking lots at 4:30am looking for some guy...

For the 18g we have a 200watt heater for the bucket which we fill with cold water and let it sit a few hours after adding the prime. It used to sit overnight and reach room tempature, then we had a "spare" heater. For the 90 I just fill from the tap and hope, still convinced on some deep level it is all going to go horibly wrong but strangly giddy from having a hose with water in the livingroom.

Hey Henry, yes of course it would be a much different situation in a pond setting. You already know that I bow to you & your expertise with ponds. :bow: I just didn't want anyone thinking that small amounts of ammonia on a constant basis are a good idea in a closed system such as an aquarium.