Mollies collecting waste?

nathan

My girlfriend was telling me this morning that her mollies have been collecting their waste and putting it into one pile. Then this morning, they split the pile into two. She's not sure about male/female ratio, but they all seem to be getting along. Any ideas what they're doing? They're also doing kind of a sweeping motion from side to side without moving (meaning now swimming around the tank). I couldn't find anything on google about it.

I went over and checked it last night. She's right, the waste has been moved into several LARGE piles.

It appears that her pleco is producing the most of it and it's in large strings about 6-8 inches in length. The pleco is only about 2 inches long.

Plecos are poop factories, even small ones.

Has she seen them moving the waste(sucking it up and spitting it into piles)?

Its normal for waste to collect into piles in areas of low current in a tank, usually in corners, dips in the substrate, around decorations etc. This is especially noticeable in tanks with sand, as the waste sits on top.

The solution is to either increase the water circulation so the waste stays suspended and gets picked up by the filter, or increase your gravel vacuuming.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm if the fish are staying in one spot and are shimmering, then it sounds like they are trying to breed. Or are practicing or are doing the dance before and actual act.at least that's what I remember the cichlids doing.

Not sure about the moving of poop piles, but the other things you describe sounds like they are shimmying.

If that's the case, it means they're stressed or scared.

Mollies need LOTS of warm, fresh, hard water to feel good. Think of them almost like a hardwater Discus.

That's where part of the rumor of them needing salt comes from, they don't need salt, they need very fresh water with high carbonate hardness.

Note as well that salt won't hurt them, they can be adjusted to a full marine environment.

Males tend to breed on the 'Hit and run' plan, so I doubt they're showing breeding behavior.

When Mollies are feeling good, you'll know, they'll be at the glass like puppies begging for food. If they're stressed, they'll hide in a corner and shimmy.

Maybe they are trying to clean up after the pleco :) I think Blaine is right, doesn't sound like normal healthy behavior to me, and if there is enough waste you can actually see it building up in piles, it's definitely time to do a good vacuum.