Red claw crabs?

Fergy

Saw some at a LFS, 10$ each seemed a little steep... But they sell electric blue crayfish there for 25$ too so I wasn't surprised.

ANYWAYS

Has anyone kept these 'aquatic' crabs? Are they truly fully aquatic? What's their temper like, do they hunt fish, or mainly scavenge?

Obviously aggressive fish would go after them like they would shrimp as well I imagine.

Lastly, has anyone seen them at a LFS consistently with a decent price? I'd like to maybe try a couple and see how they are...

Any insight appreciated!

Here is a link to an auction site on the Canadian Aquarium connection Forum site...

This lady has a deal to buy them 6 for 35$... she will ship them to you.... I know this lady and she is a top end breader and very expierience shipper / mention my name and she may give you even a better deal...

http://www.canadianaquariumconnection.com/...?a=2&b=1326

Edited by corrosionjerry

about 6 monthsish before he finally escaped and i didnt find him in time. it was my first tank. I was about 14... there was no access to land in the tank, but to get out he would climb the filter intake... sorry i cant be of more help.

Last year I was thinking about getting some red claw crabs. From what I remember reading, they need a land area above the water line. This can be something as simple as a rock or driftwood poking out, or an actual land area. They also come from mangroves/ mud flats so they are brackish. The stores sell them as "freshwater" but they actually need salt(marine salt to make it brackish, not regular salt). Also , make sure you have NO holes in your lid as they will escape. Tape off any cracks or holes, even the filter outlet. They are escape artists and you dont' want them getting out.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile101.html

Hmm thanks for the info all. The "basking" area would have been no problem for me to set up, but I suppose I'll have to wait until I set up a brackish tank before I can try out one of these inverts.

If you don't want to do a brackish tank but still want an invert you can try crayfish or some shrimp(there are larger species). I've also kept crayfish, red claw shrimp, and many of the smaller species of shrimp(cherries, greens, crystal reds, amanos). They were all really cool with my favorite being the crayfish.

Hmm thanks for the info all. The "basking" area would have been no problem for me to set up, but I suppose I'll have to wait until I set up a brackish tank before I can try out one of these inverts.

If you don't want to do a brackish tank but still want an invert you can try crayfish or some shrimp(there are larger species). I've also kept crayfish, red claw shrimp, and many of the smaller species of shrimp(cherries, greens, crystal reds, amanos). They were all really cool with my favorite being the crayfish.

Yeah I already have an electric blue crayfish, I've had it for over 6 months and really enjoy him (when he comes out of hiding, anyways), that's why I was interested in other inverts.