Red Devil Eggs

tigerbarb

I have a pair of Red Devils in a 55 gallon tank along with a 12-14" Pleco (was suppose to be a temporary set up) and low and behold if they didn't lay a bunch of eggs on a piece of driftwood.

So, according to what I've read, if all goes well the eggs should hatch in 2-5 days, the parents will be nicely attentive, and after about 4-5 days the fry will become free-swimming. Shortly after that I'm suppose to take the parents out of the tank so they don't eat them all.

Does this sound right? Is there anything I can do to raise the chances of actually having some of these eggs/fry survive? Do I need to remove the pleco? The devils seem content to leave him alone but I'm not sure if this will change once the eggs hatch.

The eggs have hatched and the little guys have buried themselves in the gravel. The parents are gone (much to the horror of my 9 year old who now believes these fry are orphans!) and I'm waiting for them to become free-swimming.

Should I medicate the tank or let it go as it is?